Community meeting on IRC 17th Dec 2020

Schedule: Thursday 17th Dec 2020 at 08:00am UTC (Check here for your local time)

Topic proposals for the meeting:

• add your name/nick using the template below to suggest a topic.
  • indicate how much time you will need for the topic so we can time-box the meeting accordingly
  • please be as thorough as you can with your question/topic
  • if you can’t make the meeting please ask and then name a substitute who can in your place.

It is expected that you show up and present your topic, or name a substitute and make sure they attend in your absence. These IRC meetings are for real time participation and live discussions, otherwise you can post the topic on here and get responses that way.

We need you to be present to clarify details in the topic, and to ensure the discussion is leading to the answers you are looking for! If you do not participate or your question/topic isn’t clear enough it will be postponed. Also: Always ask for more time than you anticipate your topics needs!

Please try and have your topics ready at least 3 days before the meeting. This will help us have answers ready beforehand to save time. Topics announced afterwards will be postponed to the next meeting.

Template for topic proposal: (post your topic proposals as comments to this forum topic)

• Name / IRC nick:
  • topic:
  • some details about the topic:
  • approx time needed:
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting (and inform your substitute!)
  • Name / IRC nick: thigg (carried forward from last meeting)
  • topic: State of the Jolla Store
  • some details about the topic: Many apps in the store are outdated/not maintained. Is there a strategy for obsolete/unmaintained apps? What are the priorities of Jolla in the store? What are the strategies to progress towards these priorities? Is it important for Jolla to make it easy for developers to publish in the store (compared to openrepos)?
  • approx time needed: 10 min
  • optional: Sailr
    This is only a small part of this thread: Jolla store - what is the plan?
1 Like

Because we couldn’t discuss the topic on the last meeting and it is carried forward, I’d like to extend thiggs question:
“What if Jolla would start an open accessible version control hosting for the jolla store - like github/gitlab/gitea - so that people can send pull requests for the listed apps and the developer just needs to approve them. Furthermore you could see the source coude you are running on your device.
App problems could be reported over there too in the issue section.”

3 Likes

@sledges On the last meeting you told that you would need more time to discuss the media button problem. Do we need to post this topic again or do you already have it on your agenda? Maybe you can also give us an update of the suggestion to keept BT on during flight mode, on 10th Dec.

1 Like
  • Name / IRC nick: Nico / Nico[m]
  • topic: Bi-weekly / monthly community updates
  • some details about the topic: Quite a few projects give regular community updates. One popular example is Matrix with “This week in matrix”: https://matrix.org/blog/category/this-week-in-matrix/, another one is Nate Graham from KDE (https://pointieststick.com/) and UBPorts seems to have something similar. Such updates give developers and users a way to see, what others are doing, what is currently happening, discover new projects and a goal to have something presentable every few weeks. This usually takes the form of developers submitting updates on Friday (or so) and then a member collecting those updates and posting them as a blog post. I wanted to discuss this idea, if others are interested in such a thing and if Jolla would be willing to post those updates on their blog and maybe even chair the submission process. (Note that this would not replace community meeting, but rather extend them to less developer minded people.)
  • approx time needed: 10 min
  • optional: I don’t really have a substitute, but I think most developers can at least give their input on this.
4 Likes
  • Name / IRC nick: Ruben De Smet/rubdos
  • topic: The state of Rust as (application) programming language for Sailfish OS
  • some details about the topic: Sailfish OS 3.4 introduced Rust support. I (and others) would like to know whether Jolla and the community see Rust as a potential programming language, both in general and specifically for application writing. I will join the conversation from the Whisperfish perspective, having done Rust for Sailfish application writing before 3.4.
  • approx time needed: 10m
  • substitute: thilo/@thigg
5 Likes

Name / IRC nick: Flo / apozaf
topic: reappearing calenders after each sync

any news or fix? Why is that in 3.4?
aprox time: 1 to 5 minutes.
Dunno if I can attend, people usually work at that time. I try, if not: any info appreciated.

1 Like
  • Name / IRC nick: Karry
  • topic: Silica components license and source code
  • some details about the topic: QML part of Silica components have BSD license, headers from sailfishsilica-qt5-devel package have LGPL license. But sources are not publicly available. What is license of native part of the components? It is really proprietary? Is Jolla aware of the fact that Silica cannot be used with GPL applications? Is there any plan to change it and publish sources with some OSS license?
    Long version: Silica components license and source code
  • approx time needed: 15m
3 Likes

@sailr, I’m posting your topic again below.
The workaround we mentioned was for Bluetooth interaction (enables sending correct metadata to the paired device), and we have merged it here, so it will be in the next release, as we did not notice any problems when going in and out of the flight mode.

I noticed that nowhere was it mentioned whether you experience issues with a BT or wired headset, please specify.

• Name / IRC nick: sailr
  • topic: Headset media buttons don’t work with Android apps
  • some details about the topic: Headset media buttons don’t work with Android apps
    "My headphones have media buttons (play/pause, volume up, volume down), and they work great with the standard SFOS media player app.
    However, I want to use them with Android apps such as Spotify, but they don’t seem to work.Play/pause button: Does not work at all, including double-press to skip current song and triple-press to rewind. Everything works fine with SFOS media player.
    Volume up & volume down: Only works when device is “awake” (I have to press the power button to turn on the screen); when playing from the SFOS media player I can also change volume when the device is locked (screen completely off), which is very comfortable. I can’t do that when playing media from an Android app, instead I always have to “wake up” the device.
  • approx time needed: 5 - 10min
  • optional: if i can’t make it please discuss if this can be fixed in sfos or aliendalvik and if it can be part of the next update

We’re postponing the meeting by one week to Thursday 17th Dec 2020 as currently Jolla is busy on all fronts to be able to gather answers for tomorrow.
Any new topics posted after this will be moved to the first meeting in 2021.

As the original thread author, I can answer this one: I’m having this issue with a wired headset, no bluetooth involved whatsoever. Hope that helps to track down the issue

1 Like

Minutes: https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2020/sailfishos-meeting.2020-12-17-08.00.html
Minutes (text): https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2020/sailfishos-meeting.2020-12-17-08.00.txt
Log: https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2020/sailfishos-meeting.2020-12-17-08.00.log.html

1 Like