Community meeting on IRC 15th Oct 2020

Schedule: Thursday 15th Oct 2020 at 07:00am UTC (Check here for your local time)

Topic proposals for the meeting:

• add your name/nick using the template below to suggest a topic.
  • indicate how much time you will need for the topic so we can time-box the meeting accordingly
  • please be as thorough as you can with your question/topic
  • if you can’t make the meeting please ask and then name a substitute who can in your place.

It is expected that you show up and present your topic, or name a substitute and make sure they attend in your absence. These IRC meetings are for real time participation and live discussions, otherwise you can post the topic on here and get responses that way.

We need you to be present to clarify details in the topic, and to ensure the discussion is leading to the answers you are looking for! If you do not participate or your question/topic isn’t clear enough it will be postponed. Also: Always ask for more time than you anticipate your topics needs!

Please try and have your topics ready at least 3 days before the meeting. This will help us have answers ready beforehand to save time. Topics announced afterwards will be postponed to the next meeting.

Template for topic proposal: (post your topic proposals as comments to this forum topic)

• Name / IRC nick:
  • topic:
  • some details about the topic:
  • approx time needed:
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting (and inform your substitute!)
2 Likes
  • Name / IRC nick: KeeperoftheKeys
  • topic: harbour library policy
  • some details about the topic: In light of Jolla just breaking any app using python3 sqlite bindings by seperating the bindings from python3 into a separate package the whole “claim to carefully curated guaranteed to be stable” allowed dependencies in harbour is a fallacy, at this time we can’t even fix our apps by adding a dependency for python3-sqlite since that is blocked by harbour, it took me several hours of back and forth on the forum to even get an internal bug on the subject opened.
    a. This is a pretty bad slip up, I only figured it out by digging in the changelogs, that should have been pointed out ahead of time.
    b. If “accepted” libs get broken you might as well allow the “unaccepted” libs too.
  • approx time needed: 10 minutes

I haven’t taken part in a community meeting since they aren’t being announced by mail anymore, I normally don’t spend my days on forums but today I needed to deal with the a bug that was not my doing.

1 Like
  • Name / IRC nick: ApBBB
  • topic: Consistency of SFOS UX/UI across apps
  • some details about the topic: Lately -and as SFOS progresses- more and more examples of apps (jolla ones like email, camera) that are included in the OS “break” the SFOS UX by choosing traditional taps/buttons instead of swipes and gestures. So is jolla trying to move away from the gesture paradigm, is it just that the devs (aurora os people???) have no idea what they are doing and don’t care about consisteny, and what jolla will do to fix this and make the OS consistent everywhere.
  • approx time needed:15 mins
  • optional: i’ll probably be there but feel free to discuss it without me if i don’t make it.
8 Likes
  • Name / IRC nick: Sefriol
  • topic: UI
  • some details about the topic: Old SFOS Case Study. Broader topic, but in general SFOS has from the start been about one handed ease of use and intuitive gesture control. Latest “major” update was the inclusion of tabs. However this is also something that highlights one of the “problems” with current gesture controls: horizontal swipe. It needs to be really precise when there is vertical content. (example of using natural “arc swipe” https://t.me/SFOSFanclub/40662). Also with the inclusion of top menu, official supported devices start to get taller and taller, making it harder to reach. Maybe allow to customize UI so that you could get it from the bottom instead?
  • approx time needed:15 mins
  • optional: It’s not really a direct question, but if you want one: Any thoughts about the case study and is there any possibility for more complex gestures, “gesture calibration” or is it baked into Qt without any possibility for Jolla to customize them?
1 Like
  • Name / IRC nick: coderus
  • topic: Overlay apps in 3.4 and later
  • some details about the topic: 3.4 update has broke overlay apps utilizing window category properties. Launching such apps produce black screen. Problem was reported internally long before 3.4 update came out, but no action/suggestion was taken. 3.4 update obsoleted some useful applications and “bricked” devices of some users. Jolla position was: “we never officially supported this kind of hack for overlay apps, so it’s your own fault”, in my opinion it looks very frustrating, my apps was allowed and published to Jolla Store with no problems. Just tell if proper/replacement API is/will be available for making overlay apps? I need to decide the future of my applications.
  • approx time needed: 15 min
  • optional: feel free to discuss if i miss the meeting
9 Likes

Example about an overlay app would be nice so everybody knows what we are talking about :wink:

Battery Overlay, ScreenTapShot2, Edge mode in Aliendalvik Control are overlay apps

5 Likes

Also

https://openrepos.net/content/piggz/taskswitcher

6 Likes

i think okboard too …

• Name / IRC nick: Raymaen
  • topic: Improving the calendar design
  • some details about the topic: Improved Calendar Design
  • approx time needed: 5-15 min
  • optional: I am not sure if I will be able to attend to the Meeting. feel free to discuss without me.

It would be great to get an official Response from Jolla designers to this topic and if there are plans to make the calendar app more useful for business purposes and get a better overview over the appointments. even if it is somehow similar to my draft.

2 Likes

The Phonebook app is also using overlays to show you information when receiving a call

1 Like

As this issue evolves I think 20 minutes is more likely.

Thank you for this content-full meeting. Next meeting is Thursday 29th October 8am UTC (logs have erroneous typo of 28 and 7, but minutes have been corrected thanks to Pami).

Minutes: https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2020/sailfishos-meeting.2020-10-15-07.00.html
Minutes (text): https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2020/sailfishos-meeting.2020-10-15-07.00.txt
Log: https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2020/sailfishos-meeting.2020-10-15-07.00.log.html

1 Like

Sorry for not being able to be there. Something urgent came up :wink:

quickbar beta as well; funny that people expect support from jolla, this is a total hack as it is done atm… recall at least the touch area to have been(as one old qt-wayland maintainer saying at some point ), that these features might be made accessible via the qml-windows properties. would that be a good compromise, perhaps? It wouldn’t break the operabililty; yes it would still tie Jolla more into requirements, but it could be marked as “in development”? It’s still quite a convenient in-place replacement for the wayland “subwindow” features which never showed up…

Btw, what happened to the SFOS-side repo of https://github.com/nemomobile/lipstick-colorful-home ?

1 Like

As you can see in contributors section, most of contributors left Jolla long time ago. Especially Robin who was the most active contributor.

I see, but there used to be a more active repo of this under the git.merproject.org. I can’t seem to find that under git.sailfishos.org ; has it been dropped? If so, which repo is now lipstick based on then?
Is it publically available?