Changes needed to merge the project names to Sailfish OS

It was just me being overcautious until he confirmed explicitly; he just did.

Back to the general topic, discussions since yesterday here or on IRC show that others are waiting for the final decision on OBS, but are considering this could be the reason to move on. Not only because of it, there are other issues they’ve been living with so far, but OBS closure, if confirmed, will make their work more difficult to the point that some think it won’t be worth it.

I wanted to voice my concerns in one post, but I’m no dev and can’t make more valuable contributions to this discussion, so I’ll just leave the space for the questions @rinigus has asked.

2 Likes

I am not a developer, so it is very difficult for me to have a good judgment.
But what i don’t understand is the choice by Jolla of Microsoft (Github, a proprietary service !).
For me the choice of Github is not really safe.
Cf : https://carlchenet.com/le-danger-github-revu-et-augmente/
Sorry it’s in french. But it’s really a good reading.

1 Like

I am not following you. What I said is “significant contributor”, and that was merely an edit several hours after my initial post, not the point. “Huge”, “big name overground”, those are your interpretation of “significant contributor”. Please don’t put words in my mouth and then accuse me of using those words, or of disappointing you because the name is not big enough for you. I didn’t sell anything you are expecting.

About the name, you asked me to name the person multiple times after I named him. Not sure if you were dissatisfied with the name, or just didn’t see it in the post. I can’t make up names out of my hat if you are not satisfied with the only one I said had already left the boat.

Just because you posted four messages in a row doesn’t mean I was here all along to answer but in the end chickened out, as you said. Therefore I am sorry if that took 20 hours, but you only asked for the name. Here is the announcement on the repository. Jeez.

Also, I am not the one who flagged your messages as spam and I haven’t reported anything, so I would appreciate if you could keep me out of the lie and censorship accusations, or funny filenames. I don’t see where this is going but I don’t like it and I don’t want to turn what I think is a crucial discussion into an individual fight. I’ll leave this thread to people who can post more relevant things than I can, and just continue reading because I want to know what’s up with OBS and how it affects developers.

5 Likes

Dear @szopin, please keep the tone of this conversation non-personal. I would like to get the thread back on track, get replies from Jolla and clearly understand what is going on with the infrastructure. Unfortunately, your messages are filling several pages already and it is hard to get to something constructive in them.

Please, calm down and consider deleting the messages that are not contributing to the discussion on the topic.

7 Likes

What I said is “significant contributor”

Indeed, sorry about that, apparently g7 is a major contributor, I’m not sure what way of PNGing his contributions from github will be ‘non-sided’ by you, but it seems like 10-15 lines of code in the last 3 months, not a main contributor to any of sfos packages, pls correct me if I’m wrong, he might be a cool guy and an awesome contributor, but neither a huge contributor for sfos, nor a BIG GUY FOR YOU. The guy “running away from Jolla’s latest acknowledgement” is neither big, nor interesting.

@rinigus This is neither personal, or non-personal, kabouik is selling a lot of shit that is not personal while he pretends to be the ‘seller’, he’s not, if you think pretending like this is OK, cool, but I do not avow

Perhaps this could be some reasons why Jolla is moving away from OBS:
https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/fuel-specs/specs/7.0/replace-obs.html

4 Likes

As far as I understood, the reason for OBS removal is primarily legal. People are uploading whatever and Jolla may be held responsible for hosting illegal content or something along those lines. You can’t beat that sort of argument :frowning:

IMO it should stay around at least to allow outside developers to make reproducible builds of their Jolla Store apps. I don’t think my opinion weighs much, though…

8 Likes

@slava, I presume it is not an official reply and from your response it sounds like the reasoning was not fully discussed in house among Jolla developers.

I am not aware of anyone pushing something illegal at OBS. I presume we are talking about Android binary blobs here. Or anything else?

Again, if it is for legal reasons, those have to be stated and not plastered over by something irrelevant. When we get the reasons behind considering closure of OBS, we can start the discussion regarding it and how to find the solution that would work for the all parties involved.

9 Likes

Just conspiracy theory: Last year I saw increased amount of attacks to build environments and other internal systems in various technology companies. When such attack is successful, you have to shut down such environment and don’t release details until investigation ends.

4 Likes

I’ve created a separate topic of the OBS shut down and next steps I’ve tried to describe the rationale behind the decision. Please use that thread for ideas, questions and discussion related to this topic.

6 Likes

The mer wiki (https://wiki.merproject.org) also seems to be regularly down. Is this also because of this change? Parts of the merwiki contained useful information, such as the current community adaptations, information about how Spectacle works and such.

If this is related to this topic, are there plans to make the content of the wiki available once again, albeit on its original location or somewhere else?

4 Likes

wow, wiki with https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris table was really shut down? Are you…? Can’t believe this.

1 Like

There’s just a problem with the disks on the machine hosting the wiki. I’ll try and get it back up ASAP.

7 Likes

aaaaand it’s back up

8 Likes

There’s a typo in your link - the word “project” should have an ‘r’ in it. So don’t be surprised if the site seems to be down if you try to follow your link :wink:

3 Likes

Is there some time plan for migration to https://github.com/sailfishos ? I would like to send some patches to connman, but I don’t have account at git.sailfishos.org

1 Like

You can ask @lbt on IRC (#mer or #sailfishos on Freenode) if you would like to have one there.

4 Likes

I don’t think we have any time plan for the migration - please don’t wait for that to happen if you have patches to send.

please don’t wait for that to happen if you have patches to send.

Well, in the past that did not make any difference.
In hope that this may have changed (you tend to sound so authentically enthusiastic @vige), as one example, see https://git.sailfishos.org/mer-core/udisks2 with a few issues and MRs nobody ever reacted to (I would have to look up what else I filed where).

1 Like

Have you pinged the developers? It’s quite possible that no one has noticed your MRs, that happens quite easily with gitlab.