Cellular/4G down after voice call (XperiaX/3.3.0.16 -- Xperia10ii/4.3.0.12)

I have the same problem. Minimum waiting time for network-reconnection between two calls is about 40 seconds, often longer. SIM is congstar (t-mobile Germany), phone is Xperia 10 ii with SFOS 4.3. My impression is that the problem became serious when t-mobile canceled 3G.

2 Likes

Phone on 4G. Call made/received => must connect to 2G. Call ended => phone returns to 4G.

I’m not at all convinced this is a Sailfish issue… Where you get redirected during and after a call is up to the operator. For me, right now, on Telia SE it took maybe 4-5 seconds after the call finished.

One reason i can see for it to take 10s of seconds is a misconfigured network, or that you are just unlucky with the coverage overlap. I.e. you get redirected to the wrong frequency, the phone gives up on it and scans again from scratch.

Possibly this could tell you if that is the case: Cellular protocol logging with Sailfish OS
(no, i don’t even remember how to start it any more)
Then the EARFCN(s) in E-UTRAN Individual Priority Parameters in the GSM Channel Release would be different from the frequency where you eventually end up.

exactly that is what is happening

Indeed, I am not sure whether this is SFOS specific or not. However, I believe that VoLTE makes a big difference because with VoLTE, falling back to 2G should be obsolete, if I am not mistaken. Most other phones use VoLTE so that may be a reason why Android and iOS user do not notice this problem. Also I observed that reconnection takes longer in larger cities with many providers so it could be a network protocol issue (but this is just a wild guess)

Of course, but the time from ‘Call ended => phone returns to 4G’ is much too long, minimum 20 seconds, as I described in my bug report

In my case it was before t-mobile cancelled 3G. I observed it on my Xperia 10 II from the first available SFOS version.

In case that’s still relevant: I’m currently still on the Vodafone network in Germany. I have no idea whether they still have 3G up. But indeed the phone switches to 2G for the voice call and tries to reconnect to 4G aftewards.

If there’s anything I should test with Vodafone specific, we have to hurry because I’ll be switching to T-Mobile in a couple of days.

For me, it also takes at least 15 seconds to get back up and shows the “no network” error message. While it might be okay to wait a few seconds (which i’m not fully convinced of :wink: ), getting an error message is certainly not expected…

Maybe I can rule out the “it’s the provider, not SailfishOS” argument:
I have a X10 and a XA2, running with the same Vodafone contract. The X10 has the “reconnection delay” issue (more than 10 sec), the XA2 has only a connection loss of less than a second after calls. Both phones with 4.3.0.15, but the problem exists much longer (at least since sailfish 4).

edit on why this is bugging me mostly:

• When using apps/surfing and somebody calls me, connection is gone, even if I dismiss the call.
  • When a phone call gets interrupted somehow, usually both parties try to call again. But since my network is gone, I am not reachable for 10-20 sec. This has sometimes led to a cascade of unsuccessful back- and forth-call-attempts with everytime getting network interruptions again.

Another sample: I use the same SIM card / Phone(X10II) / SFOS (latest). When in Germany (Vodafone), while on call the upper icons shows only the “signal strength”. When finishing the call it need 30s to show 4G again. Being outside of germany (holidays) and using also a vodafone network (roaming), the 3G icon is showed when making a call. After it the 4G icon shows up immediately. Its known that in Germany the 3G network is discommissioned.

I can confirm this behaviour on my X10ii, but I cannot confirm this on my XA2 nor my Gemini. Didn’t bother me that much though, since I expect an entirely new, VoLTE-capable network stack to be released soon anyways:-)

1 Like

I had a similar issue; the phone stopped receiving calls (it would ring empty if called) and would just ring empty if you would make any call.
rebooting helped (going off-online didnt) , but man it took a day to find i wasnt reachable. Jolla get your s*it together please at least on the basics…

From what I can understand from the discussion here, the underlying cause is the use of a 4G network, without VoLTE support.

As such, this will hopefully be resolved on the Xperia 10 II once VoLTE support is available. It would be helpful if users experiencing this could post their experiences after upgrading once it’s available.

Issue seems to be fixed in 4.4.0.64! (Xperia 10 II) german provider Drillisch. As I am not that techsavy I did not activate VoLTE support.

1 Like

That’s great to hear. I won’t mark is as fixed just yet, but if others find it’s now working better, or if there are no reports of it still being problematic after a period of time, I’ll mark this as such.

In my case it is still there in 4.4.0.64.
No difference to before on my X10II.
Sadly.

That’s a shame, but it’s good to be clear that this is still happening without VoLTE.

@flypig I switched the WiFi off and tried again. The Issue was there again! So the problem is definitely not solved yet.

Yes, I can confirm that the issue has been there all the time since 4.0 and is still there.

I would have loved to respond, as requested, with more detailed info on how many seconds the various phases lasts. However, SF prevents me from this. I’ve no other clock than my SF device, and the clock on top of the screen has no setting for showing seconds, (which it definitely should have …).

I have a similar issue, which lasts on the XA2 (for several updates) and the 10 III (4.4.0.64)
After a call, I have to wait to make another call, between 10s and 60s.
In addition, my calls regularly cut off during conversation due to a network error, I have to wait to restart the call.
I have a feeling that these problems are related to abnormal heating of the chip, what do you think of this theory? Has this been explored?
(Sorry for my poor English…)