Captive portal detection for wifi requires mobile data disabling

REPRODUCIBILITY: 75% (often)
OSVERSION: 5.2.0.18
HARDWARE: Jolla Phone (2026) - jp2601 - jp2601 - 1.0.0.19 - aarch64
UI LANGUAGE: Suomi (user: fi_FI, os: fi_FI.utf8)
REGRESSION: not specified

DESCRIPTION:

When e.g. Hotel wifi has captive portal detection, it is not working without disabling mobile data. One possibility is that detection is routed to mobile connection or wwan (?).

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

  1. Login to wifi with captive portal detection
  2. Wait captive portal detection appears

EXPECTED RESULTS:

  1. Captive portal detection is possible to complete.

ACTUAL RESULTS:

  1. Captive portal detection view doesn’t have content, only black screen with login text with reload component.

ADDONS:

  • AAS Bluetooth Bridge: yes

MODIFICATIONS:

  • Patchmanager: yes
  • OpenRepos: yes
  • Chum: yes
  • Other: yes: Status Bar in apps, Homescreen Running Apps Cover Icons, Launcher Search List, Upcoming events on lockscreen, Compact Battery patches

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Device Owner User: defaultuser
Home Encryption: enabled


the initial version of this bug report was created using Bugger 0.9.19+git1
3 Likes

Thanks, I will try disabling mobile data next time I have a problem with a captive portal (which never seem to work)…

1 Like

I can do some additional info gathering when my own JP2026 arrives (shipped supposedly, but hasn’t left Jolla yet). Shouldn’t be too difficult to whip up a temporary captive portal on my homelab to test how different (mis)configs on the network side affect how the phone reacts.

2 Likes

Same issue happened with VR (Finnish railway provider) Wifi. For me it opened the Jolla website and the black banner on the bottom, saying “login”, but that’s it.

1 Like

I think it also had this problem in a German ICE train. I have a feeling this was introduced with 5.2.0.17, because it worked on the way there, but after updating to 5.2.0.17 not on the way back. I put the blame on the different train, but thinking back, it may have been the update. I know other people didn’t have problems with the captive portal on this train.

1 Like

Had an issue with the captive portal page on our work WiFi, will give this a test tomorrow and confirm :slight_smile: