Canvas.loadImage does not apply meta data transforms (portrait, landscape orientation)

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
OS VERSION: 3.4 - 4.4.0.64
HARDWARE: Vollaphone (GS290), Xperia 10ii
UI LANGUAGE: en
REGRESSION: not certain

DESCRIPTION:

When using a declarative Canvas item, using loadImage and drawImage will draw Portrait images rotated -90

This means that the QML Item cannot be used without creating a custom ImageProvider since Canvas provides no means to getting the orientation or setting it from Meta.

An example:

harbour-stopmotion app.

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Create a Canvas {} item
  2. Component.onCompleted: { loadImage(“url”) }
  3. ctx = drawingCanvas.getContext(‘2d’) ; ctx.drawImage( imageSource, 0, 0);

EXPECTED RESULT:

Default behavior should be to use the image meta data.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Portrait photo images rotated incorrectly.

MODIFICATIONS:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Currently mitigating by creating custom ImageProvider class:

QImageReader ir(filename);
        ir.setAutoTransform(true);

It’s sufficient to use a image reader ans setAutoTransform to true. Works from 3.4 → 4.4

See also:

Thanks for reporting this @poetaster. I’ve created an internal report about it and marked it as “tracked”.

In your code, when you re-load the image, does it make any difference if you set autoTransform to true there again? In other words: set it on each image load?

There is no autoTransform property in canvas (for obvious reasons). And Image can’t be used to animations (above a certain rate, about 10 fps) which is why I’m using Canvas. There are no methods in context2d to apply meta data based transformations. They are there in Image.

On request from @flypig a small demonstration app:

Page one, an image which contains rotation meta data which is not used.
Page two, a ‘normal’ image in Portrait mode (exported and saved from videoworks) without meta data.

2 Likes

Thank you for that @poetaster, that will make things a lot easier to understand.

I also tried using an Image object as a ‘loader’. So, set the autoTransform: true on the imge and tell the canvas to draw ‘imageItemId’. No go. It does draw the correct source, but not orientation.