'Cannot open empty file' - Error while downloading e-mail attachments from an Exchange account

REPRODUCIBILITY: Always
OS VERSION: 4.4.0.68
HARDWARE: Xperia 10 Plus
UI LANGUAGE: Apparently irrelevant - Tested in at least 3
REGRESSION: Most probably - I don’t remember experiencing this in previous versions

DESCRIPTION:

While trying to open any PDF attachment from an e-mail, there is a short message on the top left of the screen ‘Cannot open empty file’. I have tried it with many attachments, files are NOT corrupted and NOT empty. The file is ‘downloaded’ indeed i.e. it shows up in $HOME/Downloads/mail_attachments - but it is zero bytes in size meaning it is indeed locally empty. I have even already tried to nuke the whole directory. The E-Mail app will rightfully re-create the ‘mail_attachments’ directory, but the problem still persists.

An important note: This seems to be inded related to Exchange. I have a ‘normal’ i.e. a non-Exchange account on the same phone - Attachments load perfectly!

PRECONDITIONS:

I have setup an account with Exchange support.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Setup your e-mail account and make sure it works (i.e. you can send and receive e-mail)
  2. Open an e-mail
  3. Click on the attachment to try to download it.

EXPECTED RESULT:

I can see the attached file under ‘Documents’

ACTUAL RESULT:

The mentioned error comes on the screen and the attachment is NOT available for viewing/storing.

MODIFICATIONS:

None other than buying the full licence for Exchange support

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

I don’t know where the log is for the e-mail application. Would you mind enlightening me?

Are you still affected by this issue?
Thank you for your answer.

Yep, the problem persists. I did not comment any further because nobody seemed to care and because I got used to it - I simply wait to get back home and open the attachments from my desktop. However, I still refuse to see this behaviour as normal :slight_smile:

Hello,

I have a Sony Xperia 10 II running SFOS 4.5.0.19, and I am not experiencing this issue.

I have tried with my Exchange account hosted by OVH. It is not an O365 account.

Regards.

Guillaume

What kind of exchange server are you connected to? Maybe this is something that works with some servers but not others?