Canibalizing Xperia X I0 IIs?

I’ve discovered that there IS a limit as to how many times you can drop a 10 II onto a concrete floor before the screen breaks, (d**n those slippery encasements …), and also discoverd that a broken screen can just withstand a certain pressure before bits fall off and a blue ink-like color starts to spread from the missing bit, eventually covering the whole screen and making the phone totally unusable.

As from previous experience I also have discovered that a 10 II may stop working from something that likely is a broken motherboard – at times not connecting with the SIM and/or the power button, (d t s e …), I’m now the proud owner of two 10 IIs, respectively without working screen or motherboard.

The following question may then naturally arise: Can it be possible to combine those two defunct entities into one functioning device?

I’ve never heard of anybody changing screens on the Xperias, so I guess the answer is No.
But in case anybody here knows about something that may indicate another answer, I would like to know.

Why not?
Just replace the motherboard on the device with the good screen to avoid the hustle of disassembling completely the other one with the broken screen and you are good to go.

1 Like

Thanks, but how do one get to open up the phones?

The process on the 10 III is fairly simple and easy, so I assume 10 II is the same.
Use a heat gun, plate or even hair dryer if you don’t have the tools to warm up the adhesive around the edges on the back side.
Then use a suction cup on the bottom and start to gently lift the glass so that you can use something to slowly separate the glass from the adhesive without damaging it. If you don’t have tools a guitar pick (to sacrifice) or a thin and relatively rigid plastic card will work.
Then the motherboard is fairly easy to replace.

As long as you warm up the adhesive enough without using excessive heat everywhere else, you don’t pull too much on the glass and don’t rush in the separation, it should take just a few minutes to have the phone open and the motherboard out.
I would recommend taking your time though since you don’t have experience with phone repairs yet.

Here is an oversimplified video so that you can see how it looks like (at least part of it)

2 Likes

I’d just found out how to get the back cover off, (didn’t need to warm up the glue - a thin object drawn along in the junction was enough.

The video you provided is of good help for further action. Thanks a lot!

Now the challenge is to know which part is really the broken one that needs to be replaced … :wink:

1 Like

There’s several videos on how to…
https://eu.startpage.com/do/dsearch?q=Sony+Xperia+10+II+Disassembly+Video+Review&cat=web

Thanks for video links.

Problem solved:
Now the proud owner of one functioning X 10 II, and two halves no-functioning X 10 II. :slight_smile:

13 Likes