Can not run android apps that use realm (e.g. Element) after updating to 4.5

I followed Collect Logs with Logcat | Sailfish OS Documentation

export MYHOME=$(pwd)
devel-su
appsupport-attach /system/bin/logcat > $MYHOME/elementcrash.log

Then i filtered the logs for the processid

2 Likes

I have the same init but it starts diverging when you get this error:

02-06 10:14:28.223  1313  1313 E REALM_JNI: jni: ThrowingException 7, No such file or directory in /tmp/realm-java/realm/realm-library/src/main/cpp/io_realm_internal_OsSharedRealm.cpp line 107,

So, yeah, it’s looking for a file it cannot find. Sorry I don’t think I can be of more help.

1 Like

Not saying that this will fix it - I don’t have the Elements app - but I had crashes happending with the Taxi EU app. For me it was an issue an outdated FakeStore installation:

Maybe that helps here as well?

1 Like

I can confirm same issue with Element crashing.

Xperia 10 II, OS VERSION: 4.5.0.16

• no MircroG or other compatibility layers

After the update, Element worked, but started crashing after updating it from F-Droid

I have tried uninstalling, downgrading to an earlier version and also tried installing from Aurora Store.

Still crashes on start.

2 Likes

I would guess as much since it works on my end with the real PlayStore. But in that case the responsibility would fall upon Element itself for depending on the Store.

Could be related: SFOS 4.5 feedback thread - #232 by goverton

related: Best matrix client for Sailfish? (Element android app seems bust after last appstore update)

1 Like

thank you, thigg. yes, seems like a common issue.

incidentally, i am also having connectivity problems with the desktop flathub element app on opensuse tumbleweed.

I have the same issue with my new Xperia 10 II. I just flashed 4.5.0.16, did no restore from my old device and installed Element 1.5.22 via f-droid as one of my first apps. It crashes and f-droid doesn’t even seems to register it as installed.
On my Xperia 10 also with 4.5.0.16 Element 1.4.20 runs just fine and I don’t want to update it now. I cannot remember from witch source I installed it, though. So I tried installing Element 1.4.20 over Aptoide on my new Device with no such luck.

2 Likes

Agreed @str4el

Downgrading Element doesn’t seem to work, so I think this must be a problem with the Android compatibility layer in 4.5.0.16.

Has anyone tried if MicroG makes a difference?

1 Like

Ive been running with MicroG. But havent tried the element app per-se. However, in my experience, some apps that worked in 4.4.0.72 stopped working in 4.5.0.16.

I don’t run MicroG and I’m not sure if I want to. I try FluffyChat at the moment so I may be fine without Element.

1 Like

Element 1.5.22 runs fine on my Xperia 10 II with SFOS 4.5. I had element installed prior to the upgrade to SFOS 4.5 and afterwards upgraded element via F-Droid to 1.5.22. No issues here on opening / using the app.
I don’t use MicroG or some Google services replacement, just installed F-Droid and element with it (on an older SFOS version). Maybe the first time setup of element causes an issue (e.g. with permissions or requests)?

I had it installed before the upgrade as well. Did you upgrade element since the sfos upgrade?

I tried MircoG and it didn’t fix the problem.

Still unable to open Element after upgrading it from F-droid

@str4el thanks for the tip on FluffyChat, quite a nice program but unfortunately does not provide audible notifications on new messages, so I think Element is still the most functional, if we can get it working again!

fluffychat looks pretty serviceable, thanks.

is there any way to dark theme it? can’t see any options button on the main tab.

there is a dark theme in the preferences for Fluffychat. The main problem I see with it is no notifications on new messages…

In fact, the last SailfishOS update did fix notifications with Element… pity it broke after update!

1 Like

@abranson Do you think resetting appsupport might be sufficient? ([utilities] Add operation to reset aliendalvik. JB#53837 by abranson · Pull Request #57 · sailfishos/sailfish-utilities · GitHub)

1 Like

Same issue: Best matrix client for Sailfish? (Element android app seems bust after last appstore update) - #13 by mijutu

I do have the same problem with Element. I had two Element apps, one was clone because I need to connect to two different servers. I updated through Aurora shop the original app, it stuck on green screen, and as I was trying to make it work I uninstalled the cloned app too. I tried to install older versions now ( I think I had 1.4.26 ) without any luck. I am wondering, what changed so much that you can’t remove / install an android app and make it work again? It was an android app that was working fine after the latest sailfish update. Permissions ? Paths ? something else ? Is there something on the android app installation which doesn’t work the same after the sailfish update? Also, is there any chance that the latest Element version when I removed it left on my device files / settings / anything else that bothers older versions to work properly ?

(Not relevant to the thread: It could be useful to have clone app functionality on sailfishOS! Somehow to be able to run the same app with two+ different profiles / settings)

1 Like

Could what is mentioned in this post:

be the root of our problem too?

1 Like