Can i install Sailfish OS on Android 12 (Xperia 10 III)? Why on Jolla site (about devices) is information “Android 12 is OK” but recommend 11?

So, can I install Sailfish on Xperia 10 III with Android 12? Anybody try it? Some issues with it? Anybody help me and answer?

To put it short, it’s tested and (i guess) guaranteed to work with Android 11. With Android 12 it seems to work but needs more testing to say for sure.

I’m interested how’s it going to be with 13 eventually, or is reflashing to 11/12 required for those who get their devices with 13.

So I must downgrade or install SFOS on Android 12? On the devices list in Jolla site is description: Android 12 is OK. What that’s mean?

Sort of: It’s ok. Feel free to search the forum for this discussion.

IMO SFOS has an ‘experimental’ badge, no matter what Android version it overrides .
I think Jolla recommends the version they tested most and are in position to support better.
My not very scientific conclusions after trying both is that they work about as well, with about the same quirks. I can’t tell I had an measurable advantage with Android 12( nor drawbacks).
My only serious problem concerns failing mobile data, probably due to a ril/ ofono/Android modem driver, and was present regardless the Android version.
I found a ‘workaround’ (pretty voodoo) while on a SFOS installed over Android 12 - and it remained like that.

2 Likes

do sailfish os updates also update android itself to a newer version? And since I have already installed updates to Android 12, is it recommended to also install all the latest updates via OTA before installing Sailfish OS or does it not matter? Am I to understand that in the future future updates of Sailfish OS will also bring updates to the android itself to a newer version or will the one on which I have installed Sailfish always remain?

1 Like

I had the feeling that sound was disappearing less often after android 12, but it could be completely subjective

1 Like

Thank you for the information. It’s sad that such a large community can’t help - only 2-3 people…:frowning: Besides, I’m still interested in whether I should update my version of Android 12 to the maximum, or it doesn’t matter (before installing SFOS, of course)?

If it were an easy answer, it would have been published long ago :slight_smile:
Most of the already small community just installs SFOS over the recommended version (11) then sticks with it. A fraction plays the rebels and goes with version 12.
Then a even smaller fraction tinkers with going back and forth with android versions then SFOS. I fit here, and not by hobby / research - but because was trying to solve my mobile data issue.
In theory there may exist a fraction of the latter which does some more extensive/comparative testing. They may amount for zero, be them the “pros” or “profanes” like me.

Bottom line: I can’t see who can give a definitive, educated answer on what’s better.

My opinion ( which is neither educated or definitive ):

• if your phone already has Android 12
  • you already feel comfortable (skills-wise) to downgrade to Android 11
  • you are already OK with what SFOS is at right now

Then it’s probably not worth the hassle to downgrade to 11 prior to installing SFOS. You could skip that step.
And if you’re that unlucky one hitting that specific blocking malfunction caused by installing over Android 12, you’ll have the skills to backup then re-flash.

3 Likes

Ok, thank you very much for the clarifications. However, I would also like to learn something here and understand something. I’m curious if a specific version of Android is needed only for the Sailfish installation process or does the system use Android resources? And should I then update my version 12 with all the updates offered by OTA (within version 12 of course) or is this step no longer relevant?

Disclaimer: I’m not an expert, I will edit my answer if I’m told I speak BS
My understanding is that SFOS on Sony controls the hardware with using closed binary drivers written for Android ( though an adaptation layer, libhybris), very much tight to a precise Linux Kernel version.
This is why there is a set of blobs from a specific version of AOSP (11 btw) that are flashed at the same time as Jolla’s SFOS ( see the installation instructions).
When flashing these (SFOS + ASOP bits) they will only erase some partitions in the phone storage - some others remain, and I suppose their content is needed somehow, esp. for the AOSP part flashed with SFOS. The content can be anything from config files to hw specific microcode.
These “relics” of the original Android install (11 or 12) may obviously cause behaviour differences - in my limited experience, I didn’t notice any. Given the closed nature of the AOSP blobs, I’d say it’s very hard to say what and how is used from the “relics”.

2 Likes

The preinstalled Android is completely separate from the later optionally installed Android support.

There are dependencies between the preinstalled Android and SFOS, though, since a lot of stuff e.g. drivers are used by SFOS.

Thanks for the postings here that seems to clarify some of the questions that has arisen for me in my current situation where my well-fuctioning Xperia 10 II on SF 4.4 suddenly died due to HW malfunction, and I’m considering its substitution:

A) I’ve had a Xperia 10 III lying in wait for SFOS to properly handle the device, (i.a. camera) before installing SFOS. Regrettably it was by accident upgraded to Android 12 before anything more has been done, but I will now try to install SFOS anyhow.

B) Due to SFOS’ problems with 10 III, I just bought a used Xperia 10 II for continuing to use it as my main phone while 10 III problems are sorted out. However, I didn’t register, before after I’d purchased it, that it regrettably had been upgraded to Android 12 also. And for the Xp 10 II Jolla says nothing about Android 12 likely being OK, so I guess I must then somehow downgrade the Xperia 10 II to Android 11. Regrettably I don’t know anything about how such a downgrade is made, can somebody please point to where such info may be found?
(( – or should I just try to install SFOS on top of Android 12 on the Xperia 10 II as well …?))

C. At the outset it appears to me that SF 4.4 may be more stable for the basic communication function of the Xp 10 II device. (Android apps have little interest for me.) Where can I find the necessary files now for the installation of SF 4.4 without last upgrade?

2 Likes

This week, I have bought an “second hand” Xperia 10 III with Android 12 already installed. After the latest security update, I flashed the smartphone with Sailfish OS X 4.5.0.18 and it works perfectly.

1 Like

You can use EMMA tool by SONY and I believe you can get the Android 11 firmware easily then flash SFOS. Do you have Bootloader unlocked? Also, on 10 II and 10 III you can also re-lock bootloader as you wish. I’m on the first 10 and forever unlocked because SONY didn’t provide a command to re-lock it