[BUG] Jolla calculator, using previous answer in division

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.1.0.24
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): XA2
UI LANGUAGE: Swedish
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): I only noticed this with 4.1.0.24 release.

DESCRIPTION:

There is a small bug in the calculator provided by Jolla. More specific the divide function.
Example.
If you first make a calculation 2 * 2 = 4
On the next line I would like to use that answer on the next line, I can do this by tapping the answer in this case 4.
The issue is that when tapping the previous answer it will automatically appear as 4 / X eventhough I would like to use it in this way: X / 4

PRECONDITIONS:

Noting else than having a previous calculation before using that answer in the division calculation.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Calculate something.
  2. Use previous calculation answer in division calculation like this: X / previous answer

EXPECTED RESULT:

Possibility to use previous answer on both side in when calculation division.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Can only use previous answer on the second side in division calculation.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

6 Likes

There seems to be a copy paste feature when long pressing the answer. Maybe that helps in your example. The next sentence can be started with any number, then using divide button and then paste icon in the grid.
EDIT: My answer seems to be too simple. @mSorvisto clarifies the issue nicely.

1 Like

I think @wallinniklas meant to link result with next equation so it updates when you change first one. I’m not completly sure how long this has been happening but at least as long as I remember. Works like that on my XA2 with 3.4.0.24 too.

2 Likes

Yes, that is exactly what i meant, thanks for making it clearer.

Here is a screenshot to make it more clear.
I want to use A (4) in the next equation like this, X / A
But A will always appear on top A / X

As a walk around, you can rotate the screen for scientific calculator and write

A^-1 * 3, where - is +/- sign, to get 3/A

Of course, the feature you are missing would be handy.

1 Like

This bug is still there on SFOF 4.3.0.12 (Suomenlinna)

This bug can actually even lead to false results:

Here I have first linked the first result (1) to the numerator, then attempted to link the second result (2) to the denominator (which fails) and then typed ‘3’ in the denominator. It seems that the second result is now actually linked to the numerator, but this is not displayed in the equation.

2 Likes

This is really bad!

On first.field it does not matter if you entered a number the linked answer will be taken.
But on subsequent fields like denominator (or following) the answer is only taken over after you entered any number! :confounded: Then it works correctly, but only then.
And that the field where the answer value is accepted/taken over is not updated is let’s say suboptimal

Already filed in 2014: Bug: Can't divide by previous result in calculator - together.jolla.com
Adding the tracked tag.

1 Like

I found a bug report about this in our internal tracker as well.

1 Like