Browser: YouTube stops playing when not in forground or cover visible

REPRODUCIBILITY: TBD
OS VERSION: 4.4.0.68
HARDWARE: Xperia 10 III
UI LANGUAGE: Swedish
REGRESSION: Yes!

DESCRIPTION:

YouTube stops playing when you open another app, lock the screen, swipe to the events view etc.

PRECONDITIONS:

None.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Play YouTube video
  2. Minimize
  3. Open other app or lock phone

EXPECTED RESULT:

Video keeps playing

ACTUAL RESULT:

Video pauses

MODIFICATIONS:

None

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Keepalive seems broken, even after reboot… so something more may be amiss.

1 Like

That’s why I use Fennec to play youtube videos or just their audio (after yt-dlp generates for me their direct URLs, stripped of all the advertising cr*p). Fennec keeps playing no matter if the screen is on or off, whether the app is full screen or minimized, even after an hour or two, i.e. even after the device falls asleep. Unlike the native browser which is unusable in this regard.

…and now it works again. No reboot, or even restart of the browser.

@wetab73
The native browser has been perfectly usable in this regard, up until this hickup.
I prefer to pay for services/content i enjoy. The stuff morally worth stealing is probably not worth watching.

After all, playing in background is a Premium feature in the app, and i wouldn’t have noticed it being introduced here, so maybe they changed something…
But no, it works just fine in the background even in private mode today.

How can you know what you’ll enjoy (i.e. find worth watching and paying for) if the advertising is shamelessly displayed FIRST, before the content even begins, and then repeated every couple of minutes or so, before you can even realize what it is all about?

I too prefer to pay for what I enjoy, but in order for that statement to be true I first need to be able to assess if it is enjoyable and thus worth paying for, rather than some cr*p or clickbait made only to wheedle my money.

That’s all. No need for any sophisticated ideology.

No, that’s not how that works.
But it is off topic to keep digging in the monetization aspect here.

It’s not really a question of how it works but whether what you’re stating is doable, i.e. whether you can know what is enjoyable and worth watching (and thus paying for as you said) prior to watching it. I think it’s not, and therefore you’re actually paying for EVERYTHING rather than only for what you enjoy, given that ads are shown before the content even begins.

But yes, it’s quite OT.

Are you still experiencing this? I wasn’t able to reproduce on 4.5.0.

Off and on, yes. Maybe 5-10% frequency or so.
Feels like it sometimes is connected to failing to acquire the keepalive mechanism… But why would the two be related?

Added to internal tracker.

1 Like

I get it not always but “every now and then”, or maybe rather “more often than not”. Compared to this, Fennec keeps playing no matter if in foreground or not, if that tab is the frontmost one or not, if the cover is visible or not, and is also proof to all kinds of device lock / sleep states.