Bricked Xperia X after update to 3.4.0.24

If in recovery but unable to access file system, this might help - https://together.jolla.com/question/138839/how-to-run-command-from-recovery-mode/?answer=138840#post-id-138840

If I remember right, (it’s been a while since I did it), I think you don’t need the chroot part on X. Just mount Sailfish_home to /mnt, and cd to mnt and roots should be there…

Another thing that might help with a brick is fastboot flash system file from your original download zip. If the system was unmodified, it should flash back without any effect on your data…

1 Like

In the end that was what did the trick. I was under the impression repeating the whole upgrade process is necessary. At first I tried to enable ethernet forwarding in order to use my desktops internet connection while in recovery. That was fruitless.
Somewhere in the process I also enabled the ‘rescue usb connection mode’ allowing me to ssh into the running system. I knew from the journald logs that Lipstick couldn’t start. All the rest seemed intact. No factory reset necessary. So I tried manually enabling wlan0 interface in order to redo the upgrade (no dice thanks to rfkill).
Literally the last thing I did before calling it a night was executing ‘pkcon update’. 2 Minutes later Lipstick came to life asking for my lock code. I had left the zypper cache alone even though one ZenDesk article I consulted suggested removing it in case of a failed upgrade .
Lucky me…

I understand why in some cases removing the zypper cache is something you would want to do on failed upgrade and why they recomend it, but on 3.3 -> 3.4 upgrade my Xperia 10 got stuck to the point the recovery console without internet and broken pkcon was only I had and using zypper to complete the upgrade from already downloaded cache saved me from doing factory reset or reflash.