[3.4.0 onwards] Bluetooth turning on doesn't work

I can testify that I have the exact same bug ! (on the same phone)
My current solution remains rebooting the phone every time… I tried this patch but it did not change anything…

Hmmm. You might want to start with our shotgun script that collects many kinds of logs from your phone.
Guidelines here: https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013910599

Naturally, it should be run after observing the problem again.

If you want to keep your logs in privacy, file a ticket at Jolla customer support at https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Attach your log package there, please.

4 Likes

Oh wait that’s interesting @jovirkku. Does that means that no one at Jolla has experienced the issue and thus no specific fix is in the pipe?
Also, a reflash could potentially fix it then?

That’s the kind of info we’d love to have proactively, in order to try to provide you better logs and decide whether we should reflash our phones or not.

I still hope that 4.1 will fix it :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

After the update to 4.1.0.23, the Bluetooth of my XperiaX also lives again after a restart and no longer after it has been deactivated.

Now the magic line for me to reactivate it is:
systemctl restart bluetooth-rfkill-event.service

Strangely enough, reactivation does not work here with the extended sailfish-utilities (from nephros) and only via the command line.
The problem seems to have been around for a while, as I’ve read here:
Sailfish OS for the Samsung Galaxy S2 (i9100)

3 Likes

Brilliant! Thanks a lot!

I’ll take the script to the ‘shooting range’ as soon as I find some time.
In the meantime: have a nice weekend @jovirkku :slight_smile:

it doesn’t work in 4.1.0.23

[root@XperiaX RPMS]# systemctl status bluetooth
● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Mon 2021-05-17 01:54:02 CEST; 6min ago
     Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
 Main PID: 6436 (bluetoothd)
   Memory: 332.0K
   CGroup: /system.slice/bluetooth.service
           └─6436 /usr/libexec/bluetooth/bluetoothd -n

May 17 01:54:02 XperiaX systemd[1]: Starting Bluetooth service...
May 17 01:54:02 XperiaX bluetoothd[6436]: bluetoothd[6436]: Bluetooth daemon 5.54
May 17 01:54:02 XperiaX bluetoothd[6436]: Bluetooth daemon 5.54
May 17 01:54:02 XperiaX systemd[1]: Started Bluetooth service.
May 17 01:54:02 XperiaX bluetoothd[6436]: bluetoothd[6436]: Starting SDP server
May 17 01:54:02 XperiaX bluetoothd[6436]: Starting SDP server
May 17 01:54:02 XperiaX bluetoothd[6436]: bluetoothd[6436]: Failed to open RFKILL control device
May 17 01:54:02 XperiaX bluetoothd[6436]: bluetoothd[6436]: Bluetooth management interface 1.3 initialized

May 17 01:54:02 XperiaX bluetoothd[6436]: Failed to open RFKILL control device

May 17 01:54:02 XperiaX bluetoothd[6436]: Bluetooth management interface 1.3 initialized
5 Likes

It seems to me in 4.1.0.23 hciattach cannot be deactivated.

When you execute killall -TERM hciattach or killall -KILL hciattach should be working

The same in 4.1.0.24 :frowning:

I’m frustrated with that, until version 3.4 BT worked flawlessly, even pairing in a Mazda 3, now it’s completely useless! Jolla boys, what did you do with that?

2 Likes

I can easily reproduce the issue by following your steps (on 4.1.0.24). This happens on Xperia X only, to me, while Xperia XA2 and Xperia 10 II work almost flawlessly (*). I have filed an internal bug about this problem on Xperia X. This is not a promise on getting it fixed.

(*) Automatic reconnection at step 3 may fail but the manual one succeeds on XA2 and 10 II.

7 Likes

@jovirkku Thanks! I very much appreciate your commitment in forum in general (not just this bug)! I’m sure I’m not alone ;).

2 Likes

I’ll look forward to the fix :smiley:

Can anyone please write a patch which restarts bluetooth?

I’m a Xperia X user and had some hope till now, that kvarken will fix this nasty bug… :confused:

you rang?

https://coderus.openrepos.net/pm2/project/patch-restart-bt-with-network

2 Likes

Thank you very much @nephros ! But my phone is updated to 4.1 (Kvarken) and your patch seems to be only workling till Koli or at least patchmanager tells me that.

Can you please update the patch for 4.1 compatibility?

Last I checked the patchmanager backend allows only to specify compatability up to Koli.

That doesn’t mean the patch does not work.

Please try it using PM in dev mode.

Alternatively, you can install an RPM from here, which will give you the bluetooth-restart function separately from network. Do uninstall the patch if you have it before installing this:

1 Like

This happens on Xperia X only, to me, while Xperia XA2 and Xperia 10 II work almost flawlessly.
Automatic reconnection at step 3 may fail but the manual one succeeds on XA2 and 10 II.

I just had this happen on my new 10 II yesterday, ie. Bluetooth would not turn on. Just like on my X, I was watching YouTube in the browser, and attempting to skip ahead in the video left it loading. From my earlier experience I’ve learnt that this usually means that the Bluetooth (to my headphones) is messed up and I need to turn it off and on again. And I wasn’t able to turn it on again (until I rebooted).

Later in the evening it also happened once again on my Xperia X; running ‘systemctl restart bluetooth-rfkill-event.service’ did fix it there (first time testing it now) so I’ll surely keep that command at hand now…

1 Like

I am using Xperia 10 with SFOS 4.1.0.24 and yesterday this happened for the first time. The phone uptime was about 5 or 6 days and I could not start BT to connect to my car. I tried to start BT several times from the top menu with no success. Restarting network connections did not help. Rebooting the device fixed the problem. My phone usage is moderate: some calls, whatsapp msgs & some calls, emails, browser (duckduckgo), sportstracker.

It´s unbelievable that this phenomenon is still coming up for Xperia X with SFOS 4.1.0.24.
Even worse… This seems to be the case for 100% of the cases now. - I need to restart my device each and every time I want to use Bluetooth!!! - Come on… - Guys @Jolla. - Get this fixed asap, pls. It’s sooo frustrating when even basic things don´t work. Such bugs make SFOS unusable for many situations or even people.

5 Likes

Bluetooth worked for a while sort of stable. Now it disconnects my Headset randomly while I am talking and I can only reconnect after having restarted the phone. Now I use my old Nokia 700 again without a problem. PLEASE @Jolla do something about this problem. This is really enervating!

2 Likes

it is the hciattach process that remains running - I reported this, but don’t remember if I got an answer.
And I agree with you - the unbelievable thing is that it is not tested, because many things were changed with 4.1 - however the damage is massive :confused:

2 Likes