[3.4.0 onwards] Bluetooth turning on doesn't work

The solutions using the command line above work to restart the bluetooth and make it work again. There is also this thread that has a solution using the sailfish utilities app Add Bluetooth reset/restart to the Sailfish Utilities app

1 Like

…does not work for me and my XperiaX in this case.

Another observation: After turning on BT and searching for devices it shows my Sennheiser MB Pro 2 in the list of known devices. But the visibility of the Xperia is OFF. A known device should connect anyway but it doesn’t. I cannot switch the visibility on – not even for 15 minutes. Every now and then when I switch on BT the visibility is ON. Then the headset connects immediately and works without a problem – until it disconnects once, then it cannot reconnect.

The BT on my phone, Xperia X, is always set on Visibility Off and the headset always connects automatically. But the phone is on 4.0 and not 3.4 as the OP title. It might make a difference.

Same here … a little frustrating

Yeah, and it’s even more frustrating when:

• This has been reported during the early access: [release notes] Koli 4.0.1. Isn’t early access especially for that? Isn’t Bluetooth an important feature?
  • This happens on a “major” upgrade. I’m ok for some marketing, but not with such regression on core smartphone features!
  • Jolla doesn’t provide a hotfix and don’t care about letting such core features broken for months :tired_face:

So we now need to reboot (or find the good command lines) each time we need to use Bluetooth or record a call, a great way to enter the 4th generation :frowning_face:

4 Likes

I noticed that to on my only a few days old flash of SFX 4.0.1 on Xperia 10. I tried restart first and it worked.

I just had to do the restart network in SF Utilities twice to get my BT working again.

Then you are the lucky one ;-).
BT doesn’t worke here anymore right now.

Not even after restarting the phone? If it does not work anymore I would try reverting to Android and trying there.

No, but there were several reboots.
I will wait for the next update first, maybe that will bring an improvement in this matter ;-). I don’t have the time to always switch between SFOS and Android when there is a problem. This is also one of those pains with SFOS ;-).
I am currently not thinking of a hardware defect, as it worked a few times after the last update.
We will see…

Good news guys! For some reason my XPERIA X now finds and connects my BT headphones at least after almost every reboot. I have no idea why, though! If I restart it once in the morning the headphones work – at least as long as I do not disconnect them. I always knew that these devices have their own souls :upside_down_face::wink:. Let’s keep the fingers crossed that it works like this until the next update will fix it altogether.

1 Like

I made the following observation on Koli (4.0.1.48, Xperia X):

Starting point:
Bluetooth turns on normally on a freshly booted phone.
Connecting to a Bluetooth device works, automatically as well.

1. Turn BT off
  2. Turn BT on again - takes longer than usual (a few seconds)
  3. Connecting is not working anymore
  4. Turn BT off
  5. Try turning it on: Won’t work. Top Menu button stays gray, radio button in setting keeps blinking.
  6. Reboot the phone: Bluetooth is turned on automatically

The cycle repeats…

Does anyone have a hint on how to collect the right logs?

edit:
@jovirkku: I’m being blunt and ping you directly. Could you comment on this?
Can we do anything to help debugging?

9 Likes

I experience exactly the same pattern! Thank you for sharing. The only thing that miraculously changed is that it works now as if my XPERIA X had reprogrammed itself. In the beginning it would only connect occasionally. Since a few weeks it suddenly connects every day and I only have to restart it if I disconnect my headset.

I can testify that I have the exact same bug ! (on the same phone)
My current solution remains rebooting the phone every time… I tried this patch but it did not change anything…

Hmmm. You might want to start with our shotgun script that collects many kinds of logs from your phone.
Guidelines here: https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013910599

Naturally, it should be run after observing the problem again.

If you want to keep your logs in privacy, file a ticket at Jolla customer support at https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Attach your log package there, please.

4 Likes

Oh wait that’s interesting @jovirkku. Does that means that no one at Jolla has experienced the issue and thus no specific fix is in the pipe?
Also, a reflash could potentially fix it then?

That’s the kind of info we’d love to have proactively, in order to try to provide you better logs and decide whether we should reflash our phones or not.

I still hope that 4.1 will fix it :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

After the update to 4.1.0.23, the Bluetooth of my XperiaX also lives again after a restart and no longer after it has been deactivated.

Now the magic line for me to reactivate it is:
systemctl restart bluetooth-rfkill-event.service

Strangely enough, reactivation does not work here with the extended sailfish-utilities (from nephros) and only via the command line.
The problem seems to have been around for a while, as I’ve read here:
Sailfish OS for the Samsung Galaxy S2 (i9100)

3 Likes

Brilliant! Thanks a lot!

I’ll take the script to the ‘shooting range’ as soon as I find some time.
In the meantime: have a nice weekend @jovirkku :slight_smile:

it doesn’t work in 4.1.0.23

[root@XperiaX RPMS]# systemctl status bluetooth
● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Mon 2021-05-17 01:54:02 CEST; 6min ago
     Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
 Main PID: 6436 (bluetoothd)
   Memory: 332.0K
   CGroup: /system.slice/bluetooth.service
           └─6436 /usr/libexec/bluetooth/bluetoothd -n

May 17 01:54:02 XperiaX systemd[1]: Starting Bluetooth service...
May 17 01:54:02 XperiaX bluetoothd[6436]: bluetoothd[6436]: Bluetooth daemon 5.54
May 17 01:54:02 XperiaX bluetoothd[6436]: Bluetooth daemon 5.54
May 17 01:54:02 XperiaX systemd[1]: Started Bluetooth service.
May 17 01:54:02 XperiaX bluetoothd[6436]: bluetoothd[6436]: Starting SDP server
May 17 01:54:02 XperiaX bluetoothd[6436]: Starting SDP server
May 17 01:54:02 XperiaX bluetoothd[6436]: bluetoothd[6436]: Failed to open RFKILL control device
May 17 01:54:02 XperiaX bluetoothd[6436]: bluetoothd[6436]: Bluetooth management interface 1.3 initialized

May 17 01:54:02 XperiaX bluetoothd[6436]: Failed to open RFKILL control device

May 17 01:54:02 XperiaX bluetoothd[6436]: Bluetooth management interface 1.3 initialized
5 Likes