Bluetooth Support in Android

I also miss Bluetooth (LE) Support. I would use the German Corona tracing app. In f-droid there is a version who don’t need the Google play service to run. One problem less. But without Bluetooth (LE) Support the app not work.

1 Like

As a replacement of the official German CoronaWarnApp you could use Contrac by @flypig et.al. https://openrepos.net/content/flypig/contrac which is an implementation of the tracing in Sailfish. It has its glitches but works more or less reliably.

2 Likes

Thank you,

I Test it.

My girlfriend does have a gene-defect (Cystrical Fibrosis) which causes several chronical defects. One of them is diabetes and she does have an small hardware token on her arm that scans her blood sugar and gives an alarm if its too high or low.

This Hardware Pushes its Alarms using Bluetooth and uses NFC for Scanning the Blood Sugar Level. It comes with an very very crappy and limited hardware device as the recommended way to use it, is an smartphone app.

But this Smartphone App, sadly, does not work on SailfishOS because neither the Bluetooth, nor the NFC Features are there. :frowning:

2 Likes

3 weeks ago I got myself a Lego remote-controlled through an Android application. The latter communicates with the model using Bluetooth which in turn means I can’t use my Sailfish to play with it. I’d be forced to use an Android device which makes me extremely sad and disappointed and would totally ruin my pleasure. Please add Bluetooth support for Android, it’s been years now since you’ve started offering Sailfish for external devices.
What are the technical problems preventing you from doing so anyway?

5 Likes

Hi @ddobrev. Following the community meeting, I just had a quick play around with pylgbst which provides a python interface for PoweredUp devices, which you mentioned might apply to your LEGO model. I was able to get pylgbst installed to my Sailfish XA2 using the following steps from the console:

devel-su zypper install bluez5-libs-devel make gcc glib2-devel
python3 -m venv venv
source venv/bin/activate
pip install bluepy
pip install -U pylgbst

I then created this file (following the readme on github):

from pylgbst.hub import MoveHub
from pylgbst import get_connection_bluepy
conn = get_connection_bluepy(hub_mac='AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF')
hub = MoveHub(conn)
for device in hub.peripherals:
    print(device)

Which seemed to work when I execute it with devel-su python3 listdevs.py. I say “seemed” because unfortunately I don’t have a LEGO PoweredUp device to test it with, but I could see it scanning for Bluetooth devices, which is encouraging.

I want to be clear that I understand this isn’t a solution to the original question posed about Bluetooth, and I can understand your desire to use the official LEGO app, but I just thought you might like to know in case this gives you something to at least play with (I understand how disappointing it must be not to be able to). I’d be happy to discuss further, but if so we should probably create a separate topic.

7 Likes

I don’t know if this still works, but it may be worth a try:

https://openrepos.net/content/pisarz1958/glukometr-diabetes-diary

Also, if someone is up to taking on the development/maintenance. :slight_smile:

I don’t really know if this is applicable but there was some news VirtIO Bluetooth Driver On The Way To The Linux Kernel - Phoronix would this be a possible way in the future?

2 Likes

Thank you for trying to help. I had found this same library myself but it has the same problem as the JS one I posted at the meeting: it’s a library. :slight_smile: That is, one would have to actually write an application on top in order to use it. I wish I had the time for it but at present I don’t. Still, I was quite detailed at the meeting, so I hope I’ve stirred them enough to spring into action.

1 Like

Thank you, I have electric scooter from Xiaomi (older model M365) with bluetooth and with your commands (without pylgbst of course) and this python library I can connect to the scooter from terminal in Sailfish and see state of battery, temperature etc. :slightly_smiling_face: I had to downgrade bluetooth firmware in the scooter because the python library works only with older one.

2 Likes

That’s very neat indeed; nice! I have a Xiaomi Ninebot C with Bluetooth and I never got around to trying to connect it up (I was too busy figuring out how to ride it!). I must give that a try.

Thanks for the tip ! :smiley:

I’ve tested it with pybluez and I can connect to a Bluetooth monitoring device I have with my Linux script.

If I may, I’ll copy some of the commands you mentioned to the readme of my script on gitlab.

1 Like

You are of course very welcome to. It’s great to hear that you had success connecting. There seem to be many python scripts out there for connecting to specific proprietary bluetooth devices. They can be a bit fiddly, but open up loads of possibilities when they work.

3 Likes

It would be really exciting to see full Bluetooth support for the Android subsystem. I have to use a proprietary program for work that uses BLE and it doesn’t seem to be possible for me to reverse engineer the whole thing then make a native alternative. Hopefully, the support would land soon!

1 Like

No Bluetooth and NFC Support for Android Apps is the only reason not to use Sailfishos.
I need NFC and Bluetooth for my Diabetes App and some other Apps.
Im a real burning Linux fan, i use it on my Business PC, Laptops, Servers.

6 Likes

Hi, on Sailfish OS Verla 4.2.0.21 we still don’t have full Android Bluetooth support.
There are many apps e.g. Wahoo Element, Corona Warn App that need bluetooth enablement/passthrough. Same is with NFC, e.g. for banking apps.

Please can you consider making this possible.
I am very near of switching back to an Android Device because for some Android Apps there is no workaround and the Sailfish OS powered phone becomes more and more useless in real life.

7 Likes

Trying to pair a Xiaomi device using Mi Home app, and that’s not working. Ran into the same issue with several apps that deal with IoT devices already.

Looks like WiFi control access is somewhat broken too, because that’s a Xiaomi backup solution and it isn’t working either.

Is there any plans to get either one to work?

2 Likes

Any updates on this? Same situation in Suomenlinna?
It is uncool that I am unable to sync my sportwatch.

1 Like

Keeping this topic up to add one voice to the bluetooth android device request. The app I tried is an obd something dongle to connect an app with a car. The software side works but does not connect to the dongle complaining that bluetooth is.not turned on.

1 Like

+1

It’d be nice to connect to my Specialized MTB.

1 Like