Aural and Haptic feedback

While not exactly “design” aural and haptic feedback can enhance the UX. So far haptic and aural feedback in the OS is kind of limited (ie typing on the keyboard).

It could be expanded to other areas like when you tap on the screen to launch an app, scrolling, gestures etc. Its something underutilized i think.

And obviously configurable in the settings since not everyone is a fan of sound and vibrations.

3 Likes

Well, if only the haptics on Sailfish were anywhere near the ones on the N9… AFAIK, haptics are a combination of hardware and software, and Jolla doesn’t control the hardware. As it is, most of the time I’d like to mute the haptics on the XA2…

HW you cant fix. Its a given. The N9 and some Sonys don’t have the traditional rotating mass motor module most phones have and you never going to get the same “quality” of haptic feedback.

That however is no reason to not utilize feedback at all.

What the heck was that haptic on the N9 and why no other phone can come near it? It was amazing, it felt like a click, instead of the buzz on most other phones (like the Sony XA2 where I have Sailfish, but also most Android phones). When Apple made a big noise about the “Taptic Engine”, I a) rolled my eyes because Apple once again claimed it had invented something Nokia had done before and b) when I tried it I came away distinctly unimpressed.

2 Likes

The N9 was using a linear vibrator. Some Sony models use something similar (xz2/xz3 and BTW they work with SFOS). The nintendo switch joycons also use the same tech.

And obviously the people behind the N9 spend some time fine tuning it.

1 Like