Are you feeling what I'm feeling?

This is a thing i also don’t get, but european parlament nowadays is also the biggest stage for lobbyism, and as Google, Apple, Amazon, have billions of dollars to spread, they will know which mouths to feed. I know that at one time Jolla took part in a lawsuit against the marketshare Android is presenting nowadays, they even appeared as a witness.Google had to pay some millions of dollars. I don’t know if Jolla saw some of this money, or if it went into funds. But it would be interesting to know. Yes but actually this would be the way to go. Fine Google & Co. for the laws they are breaking, and supporting companies like Jolla with this money. And they would have like never ending fundings :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There are multiple type of issues that plague the OS and you cant blame jolla for everything. Ie. its impossible to attract big players to bring their apps to the OS. And i mean banking and stuff not the data mining ones. Also you cant blame jolla for not having million of euros to hire a ton of devs to have a proper browser or a phone of its own and not have to rely on xperia HW, which shape wise is unsuitable for the OS.
At the end of the day you have to know where you are getting into. The OS has limitations. Its not for everybody and for sure you have to “enjoy” some inconvenience to get into it.

And you cant blame the devs for not dogfooding the OS. Its a job after all.

2 Likes

My feeling as someone who uses SF as daily driver for some years now is that a growing number of people expect the comfort of Apple’s or Google’s yellow painted cage while using EA-Releases of a small independent OS.

1 Like

Without getting into the details (there’s no doubt plenty of interesting discussion to be had in your comment @buckie, but I’ll leave that to others), and speaking personally, I can say that I certainly use Sailfish OS as my primary phone, and have done for many years.

Me too, although I have to admit that I’ve frozen mine at 4.0 (or, to be more precise, 4.1 with sandboxing disabled). It was quite usable at that point.

2 Likes

a. You forgot “global warming” on your list of “everything”. :wink:
b. Neither me or @buckie blamed Jolla for “everything”, thus your whole paragraph is moot.

What I do blame Jolla for is the little quality assurance performed by them for their “stable releases” and AFAIU that also was @buckie’s core point.
This is a consistent thread from SailfishOS’ start, well understandable at the beginning, though less and less over time, plus that has become worse lately (the last ~ 1,5 years).

In a message thread titled “Are you feeling what I’m feeling?”, I suppose everyone can feel different things and it is all acceptable. @buckie, thank you for sharing your feelings, as with everyone else. I rarely post in this forum, but I feel strongly about Sailfish, so Buckie appears to have inspired me to share.

My profession is a IT network administrator for SMBs. With the advent of ransomware, the frenetic pace of network administration has only intensified. Myself and a couple of other colleagues are responsible for >70 networks now and it often feels like we are spending more time patching operating systems, upgrading infrastructure firmware and updating flawed programs on the computers that malicious actors are increasingly already exploiting in the wild before a patch is released. The three of us administrators have to do our best to ward off better-funded, superior-staffed, and highly motivated people who seek to do material harm to others in order to put food on the tables for their own families.

Who are ostensibly the partners in this fight? The many people at the companies whose products we employ. Yet month after month, those same corporate behemoths are often quietly berated for vulnerabilities we wish did not exist in the first place, and that were patched with more notice than after exploits are already running amuck on the internet.

To keep my sanity, I admit that thanks to the efforts of these complicated organizations comprised of clearly smarter people than myself, do we even have the products they brought to market and we get to use in order to run businesses to make our own money. I lament the flaws and consequences thereof, but I value tech and what it has done for countless lives, when used for good.

I count Sailfish as an overall blessing in my life and the lives of others. Since the N9 days, I have valued the alternative. As is said, “freedom isn’t free” and I see that in the increasingly essential mobile phone space. To me, I consider myself to be an active part of that “fight” for freedom with my daily choice to participate in Jolla’s success by using and promoting to others the use of Sailfish-powered phones.

Again – for my own sanity, so perhaps it’s different for others – I choose to look at my SFOS phone not like a consumer wherein I paid a fee and expect excellence, but rather as a team member who has paid some minimal dues in currency, but continues to pay with my time and energy to find workarounds, read the forums, see how you smarter people are creating ways to identify the problems systematically, let alone helping resolve them. Additionally, I look at how I have been able to use my phones over the years in my own business. The various SFOS phones I have used, and N9(s) before, enabled me to earn an income that I would not have had without the phones. Sure, I could have chosen competitor phones and earned the same income. I choose a perspective that while I may be frustrated that I have to reboot my phone at a given moment, yet I continue to have more informational freedom and a CHOICE. Meanwhile, friends and family continue to have phones that also cause them frustrations, AND their information is being harvested, collected, sold, stored, used for perhaps nefarious reasons in the future.

With that perspective that helps me cope with periodic disappointments, I find that I am able to hang in as a Sailor and watch as Jolla continues to grow. I marvel as Sailfish continues to improve with the skilled input from people around the planet, whether employed by companies in whose financial interest it is to continue development, or by individuals whose talents and passions lead them to improve the OS or create programs for no financial gain whatsoever. I am excited to see community newsletters by @Flypig when they come out. I am more drawn to open the forums app to see what new, exciting changes are around the corner on my phone than I am to open any news outlet for the world events anymore. The are precious few places in my days where I can read about Russians and Chinese, and Europeans of varying backgrounds, and South Americans and Arabs and Jews (and who knows what otherwise-divided people groups from locations or faiths or creeds) working together to make something better for the users the planet over – and not a single government official is legislating that we work together. It is done voluntarily.

I do not contribute much to the effort. But I do voluntarily jump through VPN hoops to send Jolla money to buy the new releases, and then I voluntarily rejoice with the many times my Xperia X 10 does what I want it to do, and I voluntarily endure when it doesn’t meet my expectations. Likewise, I voluntarily sign up for early access and voluntarily use my phone as a daily driver. I applaud the efforts of all who choose to apply their skills toward advancing SFOS. I abhor the thought of only Android and Apple as alternatives from which I would have to select a SFOS successor – a scenario that could easily play out if VoLTE is not resolved, but that I thought would have already happened in January of this year. So I am EXTREMELY thankful to have the daily use of my SFOS device this late into 2021 on T-Mobile in the U.S.

Those are my feelings. As I said, I don’t post much, so consider my long post averaged over a substantial period of time and the average message post length isn’t THAT bad. :blush:

13 Likes

I am using SFOS on my daily driver and know that there are some quirks. I also have an iPhone but that feels hardly usable to me. So applying your logic to Apple I wonder if Apple’s developers are using iPhones (which they do, of course). The problem with these kinds of threads is that they are not really helping to move SFOS forward. They might be amusing, though. I’d like to discuss concrete problems and bugs so they can be solved. And of course it is annoying that some known bugs are still there for years and after a couple of updates. But this is also the case with the other mobile OSes (maybe to a lesser extend) and no excuse.

What I would like to see is a score list of the most annoying bugs (and missing features) according to the communities rating in order to set priorities for bug fixing and feature development.

2 Likes

most annoying for me is, that i cannot shutdown my x10 properly! it is really a showstopper, to reboot 5 times, until it turns off. who should i blame for this? sony, aosp or jolla? i bought this device, because it is supported officially and use it only for photo tan app…
i also have this brick, the gemini pda, so here planet is in charge for not pushing it further! can you please support the fairphone 4? may be you don’t have to buy a new device every year then, to be a little more up to date with hardware specs!

1 Like

Just hold vol-up and power when it reboots, then you force it to shut down.

At least Sony shares in the blame.

I keep hearing this reasoning - and i just don’t get it. How would it help?
XA2 at least is still just fine and well-supported, nobody is even suggesting anyone needs to get a 10 II.
However it is good that when you, for whatever reason, actually need to get a new phone, something reasonably new is available.

You couldn’t even buy a new SFOS phone every year if you wanted to - the pace has been about 18 months. The you take your pick of 3 years or 4.5, 6 or whatever feels right for you. Every 18 months is just for silly people like me.

2 Likes

@mankir: two fair points. Shutting down Xperia 10 (i) is driving me nuts as well - plus the ghost touch problems with the Xperia 10 (i). That was the main reason for me to jump first to Tama (Xperia XZ3) and then to Xperia 10 II - both are great and have no such issues like the Xperia 10 (i). Buying new (or in my case: pre-owned) hardware is not a solution for everyone. I guess Jolla would have solved the problems with the Xperia 10 if they could have done with adequate effort. But talking of priorities: I am glad that Jolla has priority on a hardware adaptation for the Xperia 10 ii which is - with SFOS 4.2 - so much better than the Xperia 10 (i).

So, in my priority list, fixing Xperia 10 (i) would be quite low although I am affected by these bugs.

And yes, I am now also disappointed by the Gemini PDA although I used it a lot (with Android - I hardly booted into SFOS) because of the Hardware Keyboard and Citrix.

Doing HW adaptation for at most one device per year already is more than I expect from Jolla. Teaming up with Fairphone? I don’t know whether this would be an alternative to the Xperias because for the Xperias, Jolla is supported by the guys from Sony Ericsson in Sweden, if I am not mistatken. That is worth quite a lot (even if it does not help to cure Xperia 10’s problems).

1 Like

Err … me, all the time. That’s how I run my business - by talking to people!

1 Like

So I see that most of you have stated their feels.
I see this notion that creeps through the cracks here and there every time from some of you: it’s that you, the user, are not entitled to ask for more, be that bug fixing or direction changes. It’s illogical, however. Because our demand is what drives the progress forward, yet it’s silent agreement that brings stagnation. Sailfish was born out of our disagreement with the established policies, there’s no reason to stop questioning Jolla going forward. You are entitled and if you don’t like something, don’t hide under the “good enough/no alternatives” argument, instead make your voice heard and try to bring the change about. Of course we are happy that this alternative exists, but it must also be practical and usable, because that obviously would benefit the very cause you’re rooting for: the more appealing the OS is, the more users are attracted to it, and the faster we can grow and shift the balance of power. My reasoning in the first message was that since Jolla doesn’t appear to prioritize the experience of regular joe users, that kind of negates the very point of its existence.

1 Like

From what I read, the “Purists” have already tagged and targeted you. :wink: I have been using Jolla as my primary phone since December 2013. Yes, I am one of The First One. I do not consider myself a computer scientist, nor do I have a course of study in this direction, however I like it, I am interested in it and I understand a little of it. But I think like you too: if I didn’t have this passion and attitude, I don’t know if it would be my main phone. I don’t think many of my friends are very capable of unlocking the bootloader and going through the whole procedure to install Sailfish. And this is a big, objective and undeniable limitation for Jolla. Yet, yet it is right and intellectually right to reiterate and keep in mind that, a small company, has been going on since 2013 against giants such as Apple, Google etc., and therefore the problem of the “blanket too short” arises, in all types of consideration and / or judgment regarding Jolla / Sailfish. I mean that if Jolla hadn’t aimed at developing Sailfish as much as possible, but had also aimed at an auto-installer for Android, Sailfish would probably still be at version 2 or 3. At this point an important clarification: I use Sailfish (Xperia XA2) as my main one, it’s true, but I always have another Android-only phone with me. Certainly not since 2013 I have been walking around with two phones, yet, for me, as a person who uses the cell phone at a medium-low level, it is convenient to have another one. I hope that Sailfish will become more widespread soon and reach maturity as soon as possible. It doesn’t seem to me that much is missing.

1 Like

Just to make my point clear: I definitely ask for more but not unspecifically. I wish that we all express as precisely as possible what is wrong or lacking. It is a long list (same as with iOS or Android) so we somehow should “negotiate” priorities.

I am missing a working virtual keyboard in Citrix, for instance. For me, it would be really a major improvement having it. But I know that Citrix workspace (Android app) is quite particular and thus I do not expect this feature being implemented just for me (and very few others). However, I addressed this bug elsewhere here in the forum.

My point is that despite it’s shortcomings SFOS serves me well. Yet I have wishes and do express them. Looking at the browser, for instance, this has improved a lot in 4.2 (and there still is room for further improvement) so Jolla is tackling problems we have.