[aptoide] Untrusted *again*?

After recently breaking my Xperia X I finally had no choice but to upgrade to an Xperia 10ii (it is much better then I expected though I would still have preferred a less high device) and am currently setting everything up.

I installed the aptoide store and updated it, after this I was constantly being shown ads and it also seems that the apks found are not what they are supposed to be, specifically I tried finding whatsapp and I got something that was not whatsapp that was 5 times the size of the apk I then downloaded from apkpure/directly from whatsapp.

As I recall we had a breach issue with this store not too long ago as well, could it be we are looking at another such issue?

Can we somehow flag these “bad actors”?

Should Jolla continue to push aptoide if they continue to endanger us?

4 Likes

Aptoide was great and trustworthy at the start, but now I wouldn’t trust it any more than “downloadfreeapksnovirus.com”.

I suggest using the Aurora Store, which is available on F-Droid and gives you access to everything that’s available on the Play Store. You can access it with, and more importantly also without, a Google account, and the only shady applications you’ll find are the ones Google allows in the Play Store.

I agree Aptoide should be removed from the Jolla Store entirely to prevent anyone from accidentally installing malicious applications.

4 Likes

@vige Can Jolla remove the malicious store from the Jolla store and stop recommending it during a clean install?

“Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me” comes to mind here.

3 Likes