App Android support crashes

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
OS VERSION: 4.5.0.19
HARDWARE: Xperia XA2
UI LANGUAGE: French
REGRESSION: Yes

DESCRIPTION:

All of a sudden, the Android App support stopped working. Because my app already installed wasn’t working, I opened the Android App Support on the settings, tried to restart it but when it seems to be active, the status change for something like “starting impossible” (in French “démarrage impossible”) and then stop again. I can retry to restart it but again crash after 1-2 seconds to finish on the same status “starting impossible (or failed, I don’t know the original error message)”.
I tried to reboot the phone. I tried to uninstall/reinstall the Android Support App from the Jolla shop. Nothing changed.

PRECONDITIONS:

No context information.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Try to start an android app to see it doesn’t work or try to start the Android App Support from the settings menu
  2. Starting seems to work and switch the gray button start to stop
  3. 1-2s after the button switch by itself to start because it crashes, and the status switch from “active” to “starting impossible/failed”

EXPECTED RESULT:

Android App Support working

ACTUAL RESULT:

Android App Support not working

MODIFICATIONS:

Nothing

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

On the comments in the Android App Support in the Jolla Shop, it seems the App cause a lot of trouble, but there was no solution provided there yet.

1 Like

It may be worth to check if it’s not the fault of the OOM killer.

What is the OOM killer ?

It is the out of memory killer.

You can SSH to your device, run command devel-su dmesg -w | egrep "lowmemorykiller|oom_reaper|^ {19}.*|Out of memory" and try to restart the Android App support from your phone again - you can do this multiple times. Look through the logs and see if you find something that starts with lowmemorykiller or oom_reaper.

You may post the logs here as well. They shouldn’t contain anything sensitive, but please read them through carefully before posting.

Well, I used your command, and got nothing. It fetch nothing after a dozen of the Android App Support restart.
So it means it is not about OOM ?

I had problems starting android support a few devices back (long ago) when i didn’t have any free space left on the device.

I have free space :

• 348.1Mo on user data
  • 831.4Mo on system data
    and ~10Go on my memory card.

I can’t free more space on the user data space because it’s all the space that Sailfish OS itself take.

And why the Android App Support crashes now ? I didn’t install new app nor content ! Just launch a maj of already installed Android App, and before yesterday, there was no problem !

I did upgrade my backup phone XA2 Plus just to check if android support worked on it and it does.
If i understand the TS correctly it did work for you as well with 4.5.0.19 until it suddenly didn’t any more.

Hi. It would be good to collect some logs.

If you have the opportunity to do it, please follow these instructions:

In short, it goes like this:

• install the script attached to that document ^
  • run it the 1st time - it adds some debugging tools
  • restart the phone
  • try to make AppSupport work, i.e., reproduce the problem
  • run the script the 2nd time - it collects the logs and removes the debugging helpers at the end
  • send the log package to https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
5 Likes

Hey ! Some news.
I couldn’t launch the script for a reason I can’t explain. So I flashed my phone after a save, and reinstall from scratch the last Sailfish OS version.
After the reinstall, I was able to install android apps and to use some of them. BUT, after something like 5-ish minutes, the same behavior occurred again (crash from the Android App Support, then after a manual restart from the settings entry, the same error status). BUT, after a reset of the phone (shutdown, then restart, not a flash), everything reworks. And for now (2 days), it seems to be stable.

Aside everything, before flashing and with all my datas already saved on my SD card (pictures, etc), my system data storage, if it wasn’t full, was far to be not empty. But after the flashing, and the same applications reinstalled, the same datas on the same place (the datas I know I had/use, the datas from the downloads, like pictures/videos/notes/contacts, etc.), the storage is at 5% only. So my question is, does each new update left some files behind that hoards the storage ?

Hello, I think I encountered the same problem. It’s as well on a Sony XA2, had it already on version 4.5.0.18 and still after the update on version 4.5.0.19. Is there anything else I can do but new installation and reset?

On my side, nothing else worked.

we have the same here, on two different Sony AX2 phones. The Xiii works fine. The issue is not solved (I don’t know why it is marked “solved” above?).

About the solved mark, it’s because I found a way to resolve my problem as explained by my answer, even if it is a bit extreme (flashing). But to be honest it’s kinda unstable :

• even after flashing, the issue occurs after 5 minutes. But a simple reboot (not flashing) of the phone makes it ok.
  • from the time I posted and today, the issue occurred maybe 2 times, but the process wasn’t the same : when an Android app crashes, and you click on the frame of the crashed app, a small black banner on the top appears saying the app will restart as soon as the Android app support itself restart. But this way the app crashes in loop. The solution for me, here, is to open the Settings and manually restart the Android support. And from an error status, it goes to a running status flawlessly.

I have encountered the same issue and found the same solution / workaround as you did. I’m running Xperia 10 III on 4.5.0.19.

I can’t really see a pattern in this behaviour, since it has happened at least with three different applications (Quinyx, NewPipe and Mehiläinen), with different uptimes (from a few hours to several days) and with several other applications running or no other applications running. This seems to be a pretty recent problem, since I can’t recall this happening on 4.4.

Maybe it would be worthwhile to write a new bug report, after we have have been able to collect some logs. I will give it a shot, since this seems to happen around once a week for me.

The same, no pattern.
I don’t use a lot of Android app, so I can’t relate as you can. I mostly use Spotify to listen to my music.
But, it was happening before the very last SailfishOs update. Once, but before the last update. So it is not something related.
Probably related to the update of the Android Support App itself, which was updated recently too, some months before the SailfishOs one, if I remember well.

I’ve had this loop crashing on 4.5.x.x a couple of times, too. But never before 4.5.

It may not be much help, but I’ve suddenly had the same problem of Android App Support not starting anymore on my XA2. Freeing space actually helped, and now android apps are running again.

I know that you wrote that you can’t free anymore space. It just makes me wonder how little user data you’ve got (around 350 MB). In my case there was about 500 MB of free space on user data and that was obviously the problem. After moving data to the memory card it was all fine. Maybe your internal memory is too small in the first place?

(Just my unprofessional thoughts. If they don’t make sense - ignore them…)

Well, it is part of a latent issue I presume. As I said in a second post :

Aside everything, before flashing and with all my datas already saved on my SD card (pictures, etc), my system data storage, if it wasn’t full, was far to be not empty . But after the flashing, and the same applications reinstalled, the same datas on the same place (the datas I know I had/use, the datas from the downloads, like pictures/videos/notes/contacts, etc.), the storage is at 5% only. So my question is, does each new update left some files behind that hoards the storage ?

The problem is I wasn’t able at the time to locate wich files was taking so much place ! Nor where they was. So my hypothesis : Does update left behind some trash files/accumulate some stuff that hoards the storage.