Any Idea when the next update is coming?

I have 2 phones:.an XA2 in 4.3. Camera doesn’t work, calling in UK didn’t work, GPS doesn’t work, fingerprints don’t work, etc. So this phone now lies in the drawer. My other phone is XA2+ with 4.2.
GPS/satnav doesn’t work, fingerprints don’t work, no video calls possible. Camera does, however. Sailfish radio apps are less reliable than FDroid app and have a weaker sound. For the rest useful enough as daily driver.
I waiting for adaptation to the 10III and I very much hope it will turn out well.

I forgot: the battery of my XA2 is quite bad. The other phone, the XA2+ has a damaged card slot, not one card fits in it. Therefore I bought the 10III with the hope to be able to use it for a long time.

I will have to try that reflash if there some proper directions on how to do this. I will also look into this Lineage OS… never heard of that before

I followed these guides to install on the XA2:

Back to Android:

2 Likes

Hardware is broken and the phone doesn’t work? Must be the OS.

2 Likes

Cynical again?
In case you didn’t understand what I meant: the XA2 in 4.3 and the XA2+ in 4.2 have both software and hardware problems.You yourself may decide if a failing GPS is hardware or software. Anyway, these are the reasons that I bought a 10 III and I hope this will be more sustainable.

Ah … Standard Excuse No 3, but in reverse. Usually its the other way around in this forum - “it can’t possibly be a Sailfish problem, so it must be your hardware.”

If I had £1 for every time I’ve been told that I’d be a rich man by now :wink:

2 Likes

Oh, you’d be even if you had 1 rupee.

Yes, that is a possible way. But over time I’ve asked myself what am I doing? I’m not young anymore, have other interests now, family, grandkids and still fiddling with phones. For me, after 8 years of experience with Jolla, my expectations have changed. It’s just wasted lifetime for me now. I expect from an update that I don’t have to open the terminal every time or flash again or set everything up again. What I expect from a phone in 2022 is that the basics work. Sometimes Jolla seems to see things differently.

I would like to suggest again that as is usual in other distros. Jolla, offers a 3-stage update to the end user:

1. Developer version
  2. Test version in beta stage
  3. Stable version

Switching between levels 1, 2, 3 should be easy and problem-free. Other distros for mobiles can do that. If Jolla should ever be able to do something like that, I’ll think about a next update with SFOS.

My 5 cents for Jolla

5 Likes

I had exactly the same problem with my Pro1 when I visited the UK in September 2021, I simply wasn’t able to make phone calls but I was able to receive SMS and network was also fine.
My girlfriend’s XperiaX (as well running SailfishOS) hasn’t had any problems with anything. We exchanged the SIM cards on the phones, with the same problems staying aslive. On the Pro1 phone calls didb’t work, whereas it worked on the XperiaX. Quite strange.

Have a look at the XA2 GPS malfunctioning thread, there is a working workaround to make the XA2 GPS work fine, which implies connecting to Google servers instead of Mozilla. (Alliteration unintended.)
Which leads to the conclusion that the SoC GPS receiver firmware is likely broken, since it cannot get a fix unless it gets SUPL data.

There are about 17 subjects here with GPS. In some of them I posted too. thanks for your suggestion, but it is not for me, because I make it a sport to avoid Google a.m.a.p. Giving my location data tot Google is not my intention. Therefore I very much hope that the Jolla team will fix this with MLS on the 10 III and not with GLS.

Oh my gosh I suggested the same type of 3 branch system for updatedupdates (my phone does this double word while typing thing) in another thread.

Great minds think alike. You flipp’n nailed it about youth and motivation to do all these extra step to get basic functionality working has become boring and a drag

Back when I thought Jolla was trying…and really working toward this Idea of doing something special and forward thinking… I was much more willing to pimp out my phone and putting effort into get this thing to work… That whole other half thing was brilliant…

Even took a sacking by the jolla tablet scandal…but kept supporting the effort because I thought they were really trying to do a thing.

10 years later… I still cant do stuff normal people do on cellular phones… cant text cant type cant talk… These guys are not using resources to make a consumer grade Phone OS.

I stated this before…I am pretty sure The Jolla team does not Use sailfish os as there day to day phone os.

Much like the tablet scheme…I starting to think the phone Os is just a cover for something else.

I have a feeling the Jolla team will come out later this year 2022… and tell us priorities have change… they will release a statement likelike “ we heardheard you… and you don’t want a working phone os… You want us to build rocket motors and gum ball machines. We will wind down our Phone Os and spin up our new gumball vending machines… Rocket motors in 2025. Lets Jolla Rocket Together !!!

Thank you for the pass 10 of funding and beta testing. So for now, Let’s chew gum together …2022 is going to be exciting.