Announcing sailfishos:chum

A “good” idea would be to have Jolla allow for chum to be activated through the setting in the phone (Untrusted Software) and NOT allow for a gui so that you somehow know what you should do with the command line in order to install stuff.

But i doubt this would be popular with Jolla.

Fragmentation is a problem and the main cause of it is that Jolla hasn’t found a way to work with the community on the OS. Hence multiple “stores”, multiple solutions to functionality and other issues. And the result of that is an OS that is inferior to what it could have been.

2 Likes

I wonder if I am the only one who gets certificate expiration error while opening https://build.merproject.org/package/show/sailfishos:chum/wget and other urls at that site. This happens both in Desktop Firefox and Chromium. Viewing the certificate shows that expiration was at 30.8.2021.

2 Likes

Certificates have changed together with URLs. Use

https://repo.sailfishos.org/obs//sailfishos:/chum/4.1.0.24_armv7hl/noarch/

and similar

2 Likes

@jemmjemm fixed now… but better to use the new urls as @rinigus says

1 Like

Is that open repos integration tracked somewhere?

Yes, at OpenRepos and Chum integration

Hello everybody!

I’ve made a very basic app for the Chum. As for now it only lists all available packages*, visualizes package details and has a menu entry to install a package. I haven’t published the sources yet because I think the repo should be in the sailfishos-chum org.

Don’t forget to install sailfishos-chum first!

Please, let me know if this app is in demand. I can’t say I could spend a lot of time on this, but it could be a good start :slight_smile:

* All installed packages are omitted until an update is available - the PackageKit feature.

sailfishos-chum-gui-0.1-1.aarch64.rpm
sailfishos-chum-gui-0.1-1.armv7hl.rpm
sailfishos-chum-gui-0.1-1.i486.rpm

17 Likes

Very cool! Could you please provide an aarch64 build too?

That’s really nice, but you’re online-storage is in russian, and I don’t even manage to download the package due to for me incomprehensible buttons, so I can’t test it

Well, I managed now to download it by randomly tapping fields, but installation fails. I use SFOS 4.2.0.21 on XA2 Ultra

I have reuploaded RPMs to Google Drive.

Do you have the sailfishos-chum installed? You can find an RPM in this thread or at OBS.

1 Like

Done) Check my original comment.

2 Likes

Actually I don’t. I did not realize that this is required seperately. I’ll give it another try

I tried again and it’s working now. I see the available apps in chum GUI and can install apps. Thank you!

Thank you very much for it! Looks like integration plans with OpenRepos is stalling a bit and this is a very welcome addition.

We can make the repo at github for you at Chum org, just let us know the preferred name. sailfishos-chum-gui? Or something else, as just “gui”?

I presume you pull info from what was written in the SPEC. Great push to make sure that this info is adequate. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have no preference here. The only thing I can say - when cloning a repository just “gui” may be unclear.

Yes, only that is PackageKit::Transaction::GetDetails provides in its response.

I thought about it too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here you go: https://github.com/sailfishos-chum/sailfishos-chum-gui

You should have invite in your mailbox as well :slight_smile: . Looking forward!

1 Like

I created a submit request to chum:testing. Not sure if I did everything right

It is all in, but failing due to missing dependencies. See build logs at chum:testing

(writing just in case if @piggz hasn’t written already)

I have added you also as a maintainer of Show sailfishos:chum:testing / sailfishos-chum-gui - SailfishOS Open Build Service . This allows you to test the builds against Chum targets.

When you feel it is ready (compiles on all versions that you wish to support), please submit it to sailfishos:chum from :chum:testing. Then we can promote it to the regular chum repository.

Thank you for your work!