Android Support missing after reinstall

I’m trying to wrap my head around this, so…

This made me think you were reinstalling SFOS to your old phone you had purchased the license for.

To me, this seems to explain why you are not able to install Android App Support to your phone. Unless I’m mistaken, you don’t have a valid license for the new phone.

Was your old phone broken or something? In that case, I believe Jolla is able to transfer your license to your new phone. You could also solve the problem by buying a new license for the new phone, if you are able and willing to spend the 50 euros.

2 Likes

I never thought about the implications of changing the name of the company, you raise an interesting point.

However, surely adjusting the name could be done via a script, rather than manually editing every appearance?

Yes, the old phone broke (after a fall).

As the new phone is the same model, I would not have expected any difficulties there - same model, same licence in my account. As support does not seem contactable, I am surely not willing to spend another 50 bucks.

I guess I missed something: which name is changing?

Normally, jolla has been kulant(german word) for swapping licenses. But let us say, since the russian suppression (as to be read in other threads), jolla went insolvent (also german word). So every finger crossed, if you ask jollyboys (the new jolla so far at the moment) kindly, may be they will change your license, though!

Can you pls give me a short summary what happened to the company?

Just buy a new license and be done with it. One licence - one phone (individual, not model) is the model. Had you just said that it was a new phone you’d had the answer immediately.

And you can look up the reorg in the thread about that.

3 Likes

Phone broken, same model, same person, same account: You can try to ask the zendesk support to move the license to another phone. They sometimes accept to do it.
Explain your case, send pics from the broken phone where one can see the failure and in the same pic, the small plastic with the IMEI if possible. I’m sure being patient, kind and polite also increases chances. :slight_smile:

That might be the easiest, and based on your financial situation the most worthwhile thing to do with your time, but… The EU explicitly allows you to resell licenses. There are restrictions, and you can argue that you buy a license for a particular type of device, which is fair given that each model has to be custom-ported.

However, there should be no obstacle if you want to reuse (let alone resell!) your license on an identical device. IANAL, but AFAIC that’s perfectly within one’s right. Jolla should accommodate such.

This thread/situation has nothing to do with resale.

My point is: if resale is a right, then surely reinstalling the software using your own paid-for license on your own identical (replacement) device is your right as well. Suggesting to “pay again” of course will work and is unfortunately the way of least resistance, but frankly shouldn’t be promoted given the free, lawful alternative.

No argument against that from me, but:
Said probable right may well have its own regulations.
If they had been clear about the situation there wouldn’t have been so much time wasted.
And if you can afford a phone for 2-3-400, you can afford a license for 50.

2 Likes