Android: do not start background services does not work

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.0.1.48
HARDWARE (XA2, Xperia 10…): XA2
UI LANGUAGE: German
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): no (As of @peterleinchen’s comment

DESCRIPTION:

The disabling of the per app parameter allow start of background services of android app does not work.

PRECONDITIONS:

Some android application with background services installed (e. g. some messanger, like Signal, Jami…)

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Install the app
  2. Settings -> Apps -> your app -> “starten von Hintergrund-Diensten beim Einschalten erlauben” -> Disable
  3. restart

EXPECTED RESULT:

There shouldn’t be any message of this app when not started

ACTUAL RESULT:

Signal/Jami: Messages like syncinging service occur though app not stareted.
(and yes: Signal will be removed from my system soon)
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

3 Likes

Confirmed.
But definitely not a regression.

Happened years ago and still does.
See my old link to TJC in my comment and following and some above in a fully related topic.

And it is not only about messaging but arbitrary applications also, e.g. TripAdvisor. WTH ahould this app have some process auto-started on its own? But it does. And there are other…

3 Likes

I remember this behaviour from a while back, and on other devices, too. An easy workaround is to disable Android Support at boot up. Certainly have this issue with Signal; surprisingly not with Whatsapp (which has to be launched individually for it to work).
To be honest, I’ve always expected that when you switch Android on, then there will be certain things that aren’t under Sailfish OS’s control. There’s only so much you can do.

Probably

TripAdvisor was started maybe somehow by WhatsApp? I searched for some links about locations in WA the last days but could not find any.
Nevertheless another process I had seen was started by WA automatically (reproducable).

And another one still lingering around which I had started and closed several days ago.

For info, @abranson has made a comment in the “APKPure malware thread” related to this: Native Browser Malware/Virus

1 Like