Android auto support?

Probably not on the top of the to-do list from Sailfish developers but since we have good GPS support natively or via Android apps (with or without microG), to would be great to have Android Auto support.

7 Likes

Bump.

Is there anyone working on this?

Since 2018 or so pretty well all new cars have Android Auto and/or Apple Car Play support.

It would be nice to be able to piggy back our Sailfish devices onto the Android Auto app installed on many cars.

Is this possible/practicable to do?

Perhaps there is already a Sailfish app to do this?

1 Like

To my knowdledge no one is working on this. Maybe you could do a bit of research on how Android Auto works? I don’t know anything about it as a Sailfish user that doesn’t really care.

1 Like

It may work for Android Apps if it was possible to enable USB-support for Alien Dalvik (or Waydroid).

My interest in Android Auto is from the perspective of being able to project onto and control Here WeGo (or your mapping app of choice) on the cars multi function acreen as I’m able to with an Android phone. The car can accept Android Auto or Apple Car Play via USB from either an Android or Apple phone.

Android Auto is the Android app used to communicate with the cars infotainment system. What I was looking was a Sailfish app that would be able to communicate with the car infotainment system. If it was able to spoof or appear like the Android Auto app on an Android phone does to the car system then I’m guessing it should be possible to make it work.

Perhaps you are a bit less out of luck than with Bluetooth and VPN/WiFi config…

But this really is one of those tightly integrated proprietary BS things that we are probably best of forgetting they exist if we want to keep our sanity.

1 Like