Android apps lose internet connection using wlan

After updating to 4.3.0.15 yesterday, connecting my android apps to my wifi network works fine on my X 10 II.

On my XA2, this bug is still there.afer updating to sfos 4.3.0.15.

1 Like

The bug is there in my Xperia 10ii, too. Stopping/starting Android support makes data flow again.

2 Likes

My Xperia 10ii is also still broken despite to the update

2 Likes

This is quite annoying, but there is an easy workaround. I simply keep using mobile data and access my LAN resources via ssh tunnel and vpn. Luckily I have a 4G tower in line-of-sight less than 100m, so I am not really missing bandwidth at all, only few ms of latency. As I do not play online games on the prone, those missing milliseconds are not really a loss. Yes, I know, there are people with only marginal mobile signal, or some specific needs which can not be addressed by this approach.

After this issue started and I figured this out, I have not bothered with wlan at all, as it was not long ago when wlan had nasty battery wasting problem. Nevertheless, it would be nice if this was fixed.

Are there any news on this issue? On my XA2 I’ve quite the same problem.

For me it seems to be a Problem with my home-Wifi - at work or in other Environments Android-Apps seem to work as expected.

Might this Problem be related to my AVM FritzBox? What kind of AccessPoint are you using?

Using a guest-Wifi all Android-Apps get Internet connections. But this way my phone is not able to connect to other devices.

Not sure this is the right thread, but I didn’t want to start yet another AppSupport-losing-internet-access thread.

Still, I could use some help. The Android side of my XA2 (4.5.0.24) lost internet access on WLAN from one moment to the next. All Android apps - except for Tor browser - cannot connect, Android settings show WiFi toggled on but eternally searching for networks that are clearly there.

I toggled WiFi on/off, also AppSupport, restarted home screen, rebooted and turned the whole phone off and on again - to no avail.

After reading through some forum threads, I thought it might be a DNS issue and tried to use dns-alternative from OpenRepos. It only installed in parts with error messages, cutting off my Sailfish side, too, until I deleted most files and folders named ‘dnsmasq’ or ‘dnscrypt-proxy’ via Terminal.

But not everything is back to normal. Currently, all Sailfish apps have internet access over WiFi except for Sailfish browser, and still no Android apps have access overWiFi except for Tor browser.

Now that my SFOS Forum app can connect to the internet again, it’s time to admit I’m in over my head and need to ask for help.

Is there a way to get AAS to recognize the surrounding WiFi networks again without having to erase the entire Android side and install a fresh AppSupport version?

I’d be thankful for any hint!

I doubt it. IIRC, App Support is a persistent state Dalvik-in-a-box which shouldn’t be changed. Nobody outside Jolla seems to understand it much. I suspect reinstalling wipes Android apps & data and wrote the truth of the matter somewhere on the forums around 6 months ago.

My 10iii’s problem with this is a bit different from my XA2’s version. If Wifi is turned on when App Support is started, I never have a problem. If it isn’t, Wifi won’t work in App Support around 2 in 7 times.

1 Like

Remove /etc/systemd/system/connman.service.d/override.conf file and restart the phone.

1 Like

I did, but no change to my connectivity issues.
But thank you for the hint anyway!

You need dns proxy at localhost for android connectivity. Connman or dns-alternative. Try to install dnscrypt-proxy alone. Please report install issues at openrepos dns-alternative or dnscrypt-proxy pages.

1 Like

Thank you for your thoughts!
Unfortunately I’m at a point where OpenRepos displays dnscrypt-proxy as installed and the (self-inflicted) state of Sailfish OS won’t let me delete it (app registry trouble).

So I think I will have to greet the new year with a freshly wiped phone.

But IIRC an earlier attempt at installing dnsmasq was answered with an error message about requiring libidn.so.11 for the installation.

For me the behaviour seems to be that even though android apps use a wifi connection (as verified by checking the ip address remote services receive connections from), the aliendalvik environment doesn’t consider the network to be up unless there is a viable mobile data connection.

This wasn’t a problem when I lived in an area with better mobile reception, but now that I live in an area with patchy/intermittent service where the mobile network provider has turned off 3G to “improve” the 4G/5G service (by which they seem to mean doing nothing to improve the terrible coverage) this means android apps basically don’t work most of the time unless I keep using jolla utilities to restart the network layer avery time there’s a brief interruption in the mobile coverage.