Android apps have no internet connection

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
OS VERSION: 4.5.0.24
HARDWARE: Xperia XA2 Ultra
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: Unknown

DESCRIPTION:

Android apps can’t connect to the internet at all. When I open Android settings (inside the container), go to Network and Internet, and look under “Wi-Fi”, it says “mynetworkname/No Internet”. Switching between combinations of Wi-Fi off and Mobile Data on etc does not do anything to help.

PRECONDITIONS:

Android App Support from Jolla Store installed
An Android app installed that connects to the internet

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Start Android App Support/have it started on boot
  2. Launch an application that has functionality involving an internet connection
  3. Perform any action that requires an internet connection

EXPECTED RESULT:

The Android applications can connect to the internet.

ACTUAL RESULT:

The Android applications fail to connect to the internet. Error messages from the various applications pop up, such as in WhatsApp (“Unable to connect”) and F-Droid (“Error getting F-Droid index file - No mirrors available”).

MODIFICATIONS:

I have Chum and Storeman installed (so Developer mode on), and I previously had Waydroid installed but removed it before installing Android App Support.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

I don’t know of anything else that could be relevant, I would give logs but I don’t know where to find them.

So no connection from the get-go? All apps were sideloaded?

Waydroid has been reported to break internet connection through dnsmasq… but not sure for what or if that’s relevant any more. But worth searching for…

Thanks for the reply, I think you have pointed me in the right general direction.

I sideloaded WhatsApp, but F-Droid was from the Jolla Store. I have now sideloaded an app that works as a “ping” tool, I pinged 1.1.1.1 and it worked. Then I tried things like google.com and gnu.org, but those didn’t work.

Evidently it is a DNS issue of some kind, as you say it could be related to Waydroid and dnsmasq. Would resetting the phone from Sailfish settings fix this? And would I lose my Sailfish X license by doing so? (Googling the second question brought up vague results, and I’m very new to SFOS.)

A reflash/reset is probably a good idea. The license will survive just fine, provided you se the same phone and account.

Thank you so much, a reset fixed the problem. Hopefully this thread will help anyone else years into the future that has the same issue. I presume it was just Waydroid that messed it up.