Android app orientation hangs (Xperia 10II, 4.4.0.68)

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
OS VERSION: 4.4.0.68
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia 10 II
UI LANGUAGE: Finnish
REGRESSION: ?

DESCRIPTION AND STEPS TO PRODUCE:

Open an Android app that works both portrait and landscape.
Turn to landscape (and the app turns to landscape).
Close the app.
Open Android app Aurora Store.
Aurora Store opens to landscape and won’t turn to portrait no matter.
Close Aurora Store.
Open the earlier app and turn that to portrait (wheter now closed or not does not matter).
Now Aurora Store opens to portrait.

EXPECTED RESULT:

Android apps use the phones actual orientation.

ACTUAL RESULT:

At least Aurora Store uses the orientation in which other Android app was closed.

MODIFICATIONS:

Tested while all disabled.

2 Likes

It’s easy to reproduce with the application Play RTS.
Actually it overwrites the orientation set by the user.
Here are my steps:

1. Set orientation to portrait
  2. Open Play RTS
  3. Choose Vidéos or Audio (at the bottom)
  4. Click on a video or audio
  5. Set your phone on landscape mode
  6. Close Play RTS
  7. Open an Android app

yep. sometimes it happens with me too

Thanks for sharing the bug @asavasa, for the nice reproduction steps @pherjung, and for the additional confirmation @sashikknox. I’ve recorded this bug internally and have tagged it as “tracked”. If there’s more info to share about it I’ll do my best to post it here.

Update 4.5.0.16, Xperia 10 III
Hi, I’m not sure if this fits here, too.
After updating my Xperia 10 III, I observe after a fresh reboot, that opening Aurora-store (takes much longer than in 4.4.0.72) it’s mostly landscape-mode.
Closing Aurora-Store and opening afterwards e.g. Signal, this is landscape-mode, too. Will this be fixed the next 1-2 updates?

1 Like

Hi Flyping,
I observe on my Xperia 10 III (4.5.0.19), that the app orientation sometimes hangs, too.
If I restart Android App support, the problem is solved - until it happens some days later again.

Edit: What is the terminal command to stop / start android app support?

Thanks for the reports @Speedy-10. Concerning your first comment, do you have an app that switches between landscape and portrait to test with? Following @pherjung’s description, the process would be:

1. Notice that Aurora Store is stuck in landscape mode.
  2. Close Aurora Store.
  3. Open this other app.
  4. Rotate your phone so that the app switches from landscape to portrait.
  5. Close the app and open the Aurora Store.
  6. Check whether Aurora Store is now in portrait mode.

This would help clarify whether (at least for your first point) it’s the same thing as the original report, or something else.

I should add that I’m no longer working for Jolla so don’t have access to the internal report I’m afraid! But still happy that you’re posting your experiences here of course. I’d like to have this issue fixed as well :smiley:

1 Like

Signal first switched from portrait to landscape; no other Android app was opened and I held the phone upright (if I remember correctly).
The next time, I’ll test your steps.

Could you please edit the terminal command to stop / start android app support?

Thanks for clarifying @Speedy-10, and for offering to test the steps.

For stopping/starting Android, the “correct” way is to use the Settings app as described in the docs (which I’m sure you already know, but just in case it’s helpful for anyone else reading this).

If you need to do it programmatically or from the command line, then it can be done via DBus too:

# Stop Android App Support
dbus-send --system --dest=com.jolla.apkd.control --print-reply /com/jolla/apkd com.jolla.apkd.control.controlService boolean:false

# Start Android App Support
dbus-send --system --dest=com.jolla.apkd.control --print-reply /com/jolla/apkd com.jolla.apkd.control.controlService boolean:true

2 Likes

Sine the last update to 4.5.0.21 I didn’t observe this orientation issue anymore. Did anyone else still have this problem with 4.5.0.21?