Amazfish and Amazfit GTR2

I want to change smart watches.I currently have a Pebble Steel and a Pebble 2. I like the fitness/exercise/health data from the Pebble 2 but it does’t work with Rockpool/Sailfish

I’ve been looking around and quite like the Amazfit GTR models. I see the GTR has “Bronze” support on Amazfish.

Two questions.

What experience have other sailors had with using the GTR wIth Amazfish? Does it work well enough? I don’t need all the functions. Which functions work?

Other than new features and different aesthetics is the GTR 2 compatible with Amazfish to the same degree as the GTR?

Thanks for any help.

1 Like

I use a GTR and it runs perfectly even though it has Bronze status.
the only thing that does not work is the AGPS download. But otherwise all other data is transferred. I chose the GTR because the battery life is very very good (at least 25 days for me). The GTR 2 has not even half the battery life and Alexa I did not want to have. A the moment with SFOS 4.3, Amazfish has Problems with BT Connention.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply. That’s great information.

The battery life for the GTR2 is quite acceptable for me. It’s still much longer than the Pebbles I have and I’m more than happy with their battery life.

The GTR2 has SpO2 which I would like and I prefer the look of the GTR 2. I know SpO2 is probably not supported right now on Amazfish but I like the option to be able to have that function in the future.

It’s my guess that the GTR 2 uses the same operating architecture as the GTR but with extra functions added and thus probably will work with Amazfish to the same level of functionality as the GTR. I was hoping someone can confirm or deny that.

Since its supported by GadgetBridge it can probably be added to Amazfish too

And I believe it just landed https://github.com/piggz/harbour-amazfish/commit/b40d229284faa8e86fccb7edc3cb51857148c6ce

Woo Hoo!!! Fantastic news. A big thank you to @piggz. Time to order the GTR2

At the moment the file download does not work with the GTR. Thus, the clock is missing the A-GPS data. That means a GPS fix can take 2-3 minutes.

I´m using a GTR 42mm-Version (the normal Version has 47mm Diameter and other Screen-Resolution). All working good except:

• Uploading new Watchfaces (Amazfish say that the GTR 42mm-Watchfaces are not valid)
  • Weather-String in Watchface isn´t shown. This issue is known to me since the previous Amazfit GTS.
    The String for the “temperature now” should be only the “now value” but it shows: “now/today_highest” in Weather-Screen, so it seems to be too long for the Watchface-Display. The Android-Apps for the Amazfit show handle the “temperature_now”-String only as “temp_now” and not “temp_now/today_highest” so that seems to be a wrong implementation to the Amazfish-App.

Battey Runtime of my Amazfit GTR 42mm is about 2-3 Weeks (14-21 Days) with Amazfish on SailfishOS 4.4. With following configuration: Custom Watchface with seconds, press Button to show Clock, Alarm Clock, Notifications (SMS, E-Mail, Fernschreiber, System, BatteryBuddy), Calender-Entries & Notifications, Heard-Rate measuring all 5 Minutes.

@fingus can you upload custom watchfaces to the GTR from Amazfish?

I always get the error “File not supported on this device”…

It does work with my old GTS but not with my new GTR 42mm.

As Workaround i pair my GTR 42mm with Android and did the Upload there.

It appears now that both GTR and GTR 2 are in the “GOLD”. Are people generally happy with these devices with Amazfish? I’ve been trying to find a replacement for my Garmin Venu 2, and I see two GTR 2’s for sale in Norway. One is called Sport edition and one is called Classic. I was hoping that someone here could tell me if these are “GTR 2” and would work with Amazfish, or if they are something else (GTR 2s, and 2c or something).

1 Like

I´m happy with it on SFOS and Amazift. But theres one little Bug in the Amazfish-Implementation regarding the transmitted actual Temperature from the weather. The most watchfaces expect the Temperature in two-digit-format like “12°C” but the Amazfish does “min/max°C” (e.g. 5/12°C") as actual Temperature-String which the Watchfaces can´t show. This Problem was also present when i use my previous Amazfit GTS. The Problem was filed from me on Github some time ago. In the Sourcecode of Amazfish i didn´t find the Part on first sight, where the Weather-Strings are assembled, so i dunno correct it for me.

All functions like “Notifications, Calender Entries, Music Info, Play/Pause/Next/Prev and Volume Control, general Connection” are much more stable on SFOS as on Android with Custom Apps like “Notify & Fitness (for Zepp), Alertbridge…etc”. And it seems the Battery of the Watch last some more days. So i was total surprised and happy after my switch to SFOS, when i find Amazfish and it worked!

Addendum on 09.11.2022:
I could solve this Problem by set the Weather-Update-Intervall to a small Number (15 Minutes), before it was set to the Maximum (120 Minutes).

As far as I know they’re both GTR 2 models. I think the “Sport” version has a gray finish and the Classic has a Stainless Steel or Chrome finish. Otherwise they’re the same certainly from the software/firmware point of view.

I’m very happy with my GTR 2.

Thanks for the report. I actually bought one today but have had no luck connecting it to my xperia 10 III. I guess I know what I’ll be struggling with this evening :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve had some trouble connecting my GTR2 with my XA2+. Have you followed the instructions on https://github.com/piggz/harbour-amazfish?

It´s important to get the Authkey from the Watch first. You get the Authkey with an modified Zepp-App and further instructions on freemyband.com.

Or following https://codeberg.org/Freeyourgadget/Gadgetbridge/wiki/Huami-Server-Pairing instructions.

1 Like

Sorry to reply in this old thread, but I bought a GTR2 yesterday and followed intrusions to pair it with Amazfish.
It remarkable how well it works, even notifications from Android apps and controlling spotify.
In my case it also sync 's calendar events but only the date/time. No title or anything else.
Is this also the case for other people?
I’n using multiple exchange calendars by the way.

2 Likes

In my case it also sync 's calendar events but only the date/time.

Also for me, it seems this error occur with the latest update of SailfishOS (4.5.0.18) and/or amazfish

I already file a bug report on Github for this:

2 Likes

On my gtr2 for a little while I saw a control for song playing from phone’s firefox youtube, then it was gone and that was the only time I saw it. Was that a glitch or is it not showing up everytime the glitch?

Also, isn’t answering and declining to calls supported on this watch? Worked fine on android but not on Amazfish.