Add dedicated number keys row on virtual keyboard

The virtual keyboard hasnโ€™t really changed since Jolla 1 phone.

To select numbers, we have to switch to alphanumeric mode before reaching them. It is a bit painful especially for passwords or some messages because those characters are often used in this context.

A lot of Android devices provide those characters in a dedicated line on top of the virtual keyboard, just below suggestion bar. It is more convenient to use them from my point of view, and recent devices have a bigger screen so it wouldnโ€™t reduce too much the size of the displayed application.

Eventually, it can be enabled via a setting.

3 Likes

agree! Especially on x10
Should probably be configurable otob

You can use my keyboard layouts : https://openrepos.net/content/adel/multi-keyboard-layouts
There is one layout with the default English/French/German + a number row (and more interesting layouts too).

2 Likes

Nice to know, as a workaround. Thank you.

But Iโ€™m confident this feature can be provided by default, it is not a big effort and the benefits is real. :slight_smile:

Yes, hopefully. There are many interesting improvements to add to the default keyboard (swipe feature, themeing, resizing, more languages, etc.).

@orangecat You can have multiple languages: in Settings / text input you can select Languages, then you have a list with the language keyboards you can select. When you use use the keyboard swipe the keyboard to the left or right to select another language.(user guide - language and time)

I know but not all languages as in Android. For instance, Arabic isnโ€™t available hence my own layouts.

I added this to the beginning of fi.qml to get number row visible.

KeyboardLayout {
KeyboardRow {
CharacterKey { caption: โ€œ1โ€ }
CharacterKey { caption: โ€œ2โ€ }
CharacterKey { caption: โ€œ3โ€ }
CharacterKey { caption: โ€œ4โ€ }
CharacterKey { caption: โ€œ5โ€ }
CharacterKey { caption: โ€œ6โ€ }
CharacterKey { caption: โ€œ7โ€ }
CharacterKey { caption: โ€œ8โ€ }
CharacterKey { caption: โ€œ9โ€ }
CharacterKey { caption: โ€œ0โ€}

}

After killall maliit-server command keyboard looks fine

But when rebooted my Xperia 10 lll numbers are not fine anymore.

What can i do to get numbers on right positions?

Just for reference, this is how @orangecat has the english layout with extra numerical row:

KeyboardRow {
        CharacterKey { caption: "1"; captionShifted: "1"; symView: "๐Ÿ˜Š"; symView2: "๐Ÿ˜ฎ" }
        CharacterKey { caption: "2"; captionShifted: "2"; symView: "๐Ÿ˜‰"; symView2: "๐Ÿ˜" }
        CharacterKey { caption: "3"; captionShifted: "3"; symView: "๐Ÿ˜˜"; symView2: "๐Ÿ˜›" }
        CharacterKey { caption: "4"; captionShifted: "4"; symView: "๐Ÿ˜Ž"; symView2: "๐Ÿ˜„" }
        CharacterKey { caption: "5"; captionShifted: "5"; symView: "๐Ÿ˜ƒ"; symView2: "๐Ÿ˜•" }
        CharacterKey { caption: "6"; captionShifted: "6"; symView: "โค"; symView2: "๐Ÿ˜ž" }
        CharacterKey { caption: "7"; captionShifted: "7"; symView: "๐Ÿ˜"; symView2: "๐Ÿ˜ข" }
        CharacterKey { caption: "8"; captionShifted: "8"; symView: "๐Ÿ˜€"; symView2: "๐Ÿ˜ญ" }
        CharacterKey { caption: "9"; captionShifted: "9"; symView: "๐Ÿ˜"; symView2: "๐Ÿ˜ " }
        CharacterKey { caption: "0"; captionShifted: "0"; symView: "๐Ÿ˜‚"; symView2: "๐Ÿ˜ด" }
    }

Which works for me.

2 Likes

Thank you @poetaster I will try that.

Thank you again @poetaster. I finally got the number line to appear the right way.
Gredits of cource to @orangecat too.

1 Like