Access to some sites blocked in Webkit browsers

REPRODUCIBILITY: 50%.
BUILD ID: 3.1.0.11, 3.3.0.16
HARDWARE: Jolla 2, Xperia X.
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: Do not know.

DESCRIPTION: WebKit based browsers (Webcat, Webpirate) are blocked from some sites due to the triggered security sollutions on the particular websites: startpage.com, senukai.lt. This happens both with the default QtWebkit and with the QtWebkit 5.212 DEV libraries.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Open site senukai.lt or startpage.com
  2. Use startpage as search engine in WebCat browser.

EXPECTED RESULT: Site opens normaly.

================

ACTUAL RESULT: There’s message (senukai.lt):
Sorry, you have been blockedThis website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks. The action you just performed triggered the security solution. There are several actions that could trigger this block including submitting a certain word or phrase, a SQL command or malformed data. What can I do to resolve this?
You can email the site owner to let them know you were blocked. Please include what you were doing when this page came up and the Cloudflare Ray ID found at the bottom of this page.
Cloudflare Ray ID: 5d9f43649fecffdc

Or there’s message (startpage.com):
We apologize for the inconvenience: to prevent possible abuse of the Startpage.com service, your Internet connection has been prevented from accessing it at this time.This happens when a large number of search requests are received from one’s Internet connection in a short amount of time – for example, if you are using “screen-scraping” software, or if you are sharing a connection with many people, perhaps through a proxy service.
Otherwise, if you have received this message in error, please help us in investigation by providing following information:
- Are you using TOR or other anonymous proxies?
- Do you have special browser configuration or extensions?
- Are you using VPN?
- Are you using a company network?
We will seek to refine and correct this whenever possible. Thank you for your patience.

==============

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

On first Xperia X (Rokua) this errorr disappeared in the startpage.com after the installation of QtWebkit 5.212 DEV and reinstallation of default QtWebkit. On another Xperia X (and the same mobile carrier as first Xperia) with Seitseminen 3.1.0.11 this error is only on starpage.com and is absent on senukai.lt.On Jolla C (Rokua) this error is only on startpage.com, but is absent on senukai.lt Jolla C uses SIM from different mobile carrier.Neither VPN nor proxy are enabled.The pages open correctly on Jolla browser or Android browser (Lightning).

With ielig:web (Webkit based stupid browser in store) both sites are loading their front pages. startpage.com also delivered search results. So for me this is no problem with Webkit.

PS.: found “Lelig:web” here in SFOS. The correct spelling is “ielig:web” (or “Ielig:Web”) :wink:

Thanks for the response. Yes, On Xperia X both sites open correctly with Ielig web.

Side note, I did not notice IeligWb uses WebKit engine. Fantastic browser, which I use as distraction free browser for reading longer articles of pure text, the only complaint is that on one site I read often I was not able to increase font size of page body text after all tries I implemented to customize on Ielig web settings, the font remained extremely small. Otherwise I should learn more how to use it. It might be it is convenient on broader range of webpages.

Both sites work on 3.4.0.22 and Xperia X. Probably thanks to the browser update.

@PeperJohnny: Are you sure the browser update will be related to QML WebView or QT Webkit?

@Ta_das: For Harbour apps you can only use “official allowed” QT modules. And QT Webkit, QML Webview and Siliacawebview are in this list. The engine of the stock browser (Jolla Browser) is Gecko based and not in this list. But the times are changing. QT have moved from Webkit to Chromium (called QT WebEngine) in QT5.6 (the QT version inside your phone). In newer QT versions there is no QT Webkit.This is maybe one of the reasons Sailfishos is freeze on QT 5.6. But with SFOS 3.4 a big step to newer QT versions is done: The email app switched from Webkit to the SFOS browser engine (Gecko based). So there is hope you can find a newer QT version (like 5.13) in one of the coming SFOS releases.

1 Like

My bad I haven’t read the question thorough enough and got it wrong because of that. Please disregard what I said.

1 Like

Thank you all who wrote and explained here.

I have found the solution. No blocks happen accessing the sites anymore. The culprit was user agent name in settings.In the Webcat browser default user agent “Default Jolla WebKit” gets blocked, but not the “Jolla Sailfish browser”.

As well in the WebPirate browser user agent “Google Bot” gets blocked but not the default user agent “Mobile”. I was trying to find settings to improve page rendering (some sites are rendered in WebPirate only in left third of the screen), so changed user agent. Did not know user agent is only internal browser name with which browser names itself when accesses webpages.

Good news. And yes, it needs a little bit luck to find the best user agent string.Some web sites wanted to be cheated. So in Ielig:Web you can set this UAS separately for each bookmark.