Encryption Unlock Hangs At Startup - 4.1.0.24

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 50%?
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.1.0.24
HARDWARE (XA2, Xperia 10…): Xperia 10 (single sim)
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Yes?

DESCRIPTION:

There are many times when I restart my phone that unlocking the encryption does not work, or at least it takes so long that I give up and restart the phone to try again.

When trying to unlock the encryption, the circle keeps turning and nothing happens. I power down the phone and turn it back on to try again, and within 2-3 seconds it accepts the passcode and boots up.
Restarting the phone to try again solves the issue, but this becomes annoying if you’re restarting your phone a few times a day.

Weirdly, sometimes the phone boots with display brightness turned down - this usually means the phone will hang when trying to unlock the encryption.

PRECONDITIONS:

I don’t know whether it’s something I’m doing - I don’t think it is though as there are times that I’m barely using my phone, and restart it only because I’ve lost audio (another bug), and then this happens.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Restart Phone…

EXPECTED RESULT:

Unlocking encryption should work immediately like it did with previous versions of the OS

ACTUAL RESULT:

It takes two times to unlock the encryption

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

5 Likes

On the same device, I also have the problem of restarting the phone to solve the issue that the system seems to be stuck. Indeed, the circle is spinning around after the first passcode and I once tried to leave it for a while and nothing happened after 15mn so it seems really stuck.

I do not restart often the phone so this is not something I often encounter but this is annoying and frequent enough. Thanks for reporting it btw because I was too lazy to do it myself :wink:

1 Like

I’ve noticed the same problem on the Xperia X.

I only had this once after the update on an Xperia X. And never ever again. So I thought it’s was not worth filing as bug. But …

This is not a specialty of SFOS 4.1. I also have this with 3.4.0.24 and an XA2 dual and the problem appeared with the update of the forced encryption. About every third restart scares me. Phone off / on, sometimes several times, helps. One day it won’t start at all. I am waiting for it.

1 Like

I had the same problem several times this week with Xperia 10 III, 4.4.0.68.

you actually filed a bug :wink: [Xperia X][4.x] Stall on first security code screen after upgrade

I have the same on fresh install on xperia 10 III. Almost always after reboot. As a workaround I use invalid code for the first attempt and then the second time always succeeds.

Sorry to hear you’ve been experiencing this, and thanks for the reports. I’ve recorded it internally and have tagged it here as “tracked”. If there are future updates to share on it, I’ll do my best to post them back here.