5GHz wifi signal reception is too weak

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.1.0.24
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): X10II
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Don’t know

DESCRIPTION:

5 GHz wifi reception is super weak. The phone must be kept 0.5m away from a router for it to work reliably. When the distance increases to ~2m the network keeps getting lost as the signal is too weak.
2.4GHz wifi works just fine. Also the reception worked fine on the same phone when using Android prior to SailfishOS installation.

PRECONDITIONS:

None

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Connect to 5GHz wifi network
  2. Move the phone few meters away from the router.

EXPECTED RESULT:

5 GHz wifi signal should be received normally.

ACTUAL RESULT:

The received signal is too weak.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

1 Like

known issue, it is mentioned in release log

1 Like

Ohh, I see. I somehow didn’t notice it as it was listed for another phone. Shall I delete or close this thread then?

just leave it, is fine

1 Like

I find it really fascinating that (a device driver I guess) is working, but so badly. I wonder if it tries to lock into an incorrect frequency or something, I mean how can it actually attenuate the signal?

Are you sure about that? I just purchased Xperia 10 II (XQ-AU52), and I am in the process of using it as an Android phone (as the update-to-Sailfish instructions tell me) to verify that basic functionality works. Except that it doesn’t. WLAN on 5 GHz is flaky to the point of being unusable. When standing next to the AP less that 2 meters away, clear line-of-sight, there are no problems. Sitting at my desk, no line-of-sight but a light door in-between, about 4 meters away, my video test (Speedtest Android app) failed 60% of the time (10 runs). And when repeated, I got 10 good runs, so the flakiness is not consistent.

My Nokia 8 sees no problems, both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz work just fine. And 2.4 GHz works fine for Xperia 10 II, too.

For 229 € this would have been a good deal, just that 5 GHz problem irks me so much that I may end up trying to return the phone.

Is there another thread where this problem is discussed?

A good hint would be to install android again and have a try with WIFI again. I know it sucks. You don’t want to know how often I finish installing Android again to be sure that it is not a hardware fault that’s bugging me.

The upcoming OS release 4.2.0 contains a fix for this issue. This fix is based on an update from Sony.

3 Likes

Does this mean that users running Android 11 should already have the fix in their phones? What component is actually fixed, is there a link to that information somewhere?

Despite of no other device having any problems whatsoever, I finally rebooted the Access Point.

And that did the trick. I’ve been running the previously failing test maybe 40 to 50 times, not failing once. This phone may be a keeper, after all.