4th Xperia 10 unresponsive screen

What do you mean with this?
First you speak about a bug in the lock screen, and then about then lock screen itself being triggered?
As in the phone being locked as opposed to screen just off? Do you have it on a timer and is just unlucky?

Or what do you mean? And more importantly; what does it have to do touchscreen unresponsiveness?
Are you only seeing lockscreen-related unresponsiveness?

The lock screen appearing (surely not?) or just general unresponsiveness?

And have you actually tried lightly bending it back to regain responsiveness?

What I wrote in July 21 (post # 15) is nonsense. Please ignore.

The real reason for the stucking screen was, in my case, a tottering contact on the connector on the mainboard, where the flat cable coming from the screen is connected.

Before I fixed this, I had permanently problems with this, after fixing the connector/tottering contact, never again since summer 21 until today.

1 Like

Sorry for being not sufficiently precise and adding speculation about causes.

If I unlock my phone via fingerprint, it is showing a normal screen but does not react on touch events. I then need to action the on/off button to lock the screen again. Then one of the two actions described in the previous post needs to be taken to unlock the screen again. Then the phone is responsive, sometimes for a long time. But sometimes, even if the phone just sits in your hands, the screen becomes unresponsive again. So you need to action the on/off button again and unlock again with one of the two above procedures. It is not predictable which action is effective. Sometimes the fingerprint results in a responsive screen, sometimes the fingerprint just turns the screen on, but the screen remains unresponsive. In this case, I have to turn the screen off & on again via the button and just swipe left. The screen becomes responsive again. I have this behaviour on two phones.

If it would be hardware, switching off and on again with fingerprint would always work. But it doesn’t. Sometimes you need to wake the screen with the on/off button and swipe left. Hence my speculation that it has to do with some “wake up” or energy optimisation behaviour.

Even if the screen is unresponsive, the phone works normally without any prob. I can take photos with the volume buttons, log in via ssh and all that. It is just the screen that is unresponsive. And I do not know why it is unresponsive.

And sometimes, when it “hangs”, waiting a little (5-10 sec) can have the effect that the screen becomes responsive again. But those are rare cases.

BTW, how can I verify whether this is a tottering contact? Is there a way without taking off the screen and physically checking?

That to me suggests they are not necessarily (closely) related to fixing the issue and you should be careful attributing them to solving it.
My bendy Xperia 10 was extremely random.

Work as is solve the problem? I fail to follow the logic in that. Sounds exactly like a (physical) hardware problem.

If it is hardware, like it was for me, gripping it slightly differently one way or another can definitely have an impact. The hardware issue in question being that the screen gets bent so it seems to think there are already one or more fingers on it, and thus either ignores yours completely or produces weird multitouch events.

Good, the you can check the journal log and see if something is amiss. If it is software it would be very likely that it would show something. This rules out some software issues, although not all… but it also doesn’t contradict it being a hardware issue at all.

I have the phone lying on the desk, responsive. I copy something by looking at the screen. 1minute later, the screen is awake but unresponsive.

Again, I wonder if one can check the hardware issue without disassembling the phone.

I believe you’re good by simply replacing the screen of your phone or check if the flat-connecting cable of the screen is lose. It’s fairly simple to do with a hairdryer and right tools (see video instructions that might help you e.g. Sony Xperia 10 Plus Disassembly Teardown Repair Guide. Screen easier than Galaxy S10? - YouTube). If you order the replacement screen e.g. from Amazon (costs are around 40€ without shipping) then it might come with all the tools you need. I recommend to use new double-sided tape when you install the replacement screen and when you put back the battery in place. Perhaps it’s also a good time to replace the battery as well. I just did this with my Xperia 10 plus and the phone feels like brand new. Xperia 10 and 10 plus are very easy to service devices. I hope this is the same with the Xperia 10 III, not yet tried to open.

1 Like

If you want to check the screen first via software without opening the phone, use the ‘csd’ command in the Terminal app and go there to individual testing and test the screen. I always would check this even after a screen replacement.

3 Likes

Thanks for the nice explanations. CSD is a nice tool. All tests of my screen passed. But in the middle of the mutitouch tests, it became unresponsive and I had to wake it up by pressing the on/off button and by swiping left. The test was set back to zero and I started over. But this test expects you to click fail/pass etc So there is no threshold to reach. How would a test react if the screen was broken?

I watched journalctl -a -f while trying to reproduce the screen failure. The failure itself was not showing any entry in the log, but waking it up by pressing the power button said that it was in an invalid state.

Again, this doesn’t look like a hardware issue. It could be a power management issue.

Sep 11 16:17:19 Saurus mce[2033]: powerkey.c: pwrkey_datapipe_keypress_event_cb(): powerkey pressed
Sep 11 16:17:20 Saurus mce[2033]: powerkey.c: pwrkey_datapipe_keypress_event_cb(): powerkey release
d
Sep 11 16:17:20 Saurus mce[2033]: modules/proximity.c: mp_datapipe_set_proximity_sensor_actual(): s
tate: UNDEF → OPEN
Sep 11 16:17:20 Saurus mce[2033]: modules/display.c: mdy_display_state_leave(): current display sta
te = POWER_DOWN
Sep 11 16:17:20 Saurus sensorfwd[2971]: virtual bool HybrisAdaptor::setInterval(unsigned int, int)
setInterval not ok
Sep 11 16:17:20 Saurus kernel: CPU features: SANITY CHECK: Unexpected variation in SYS_ID_AA64MMFR0
_EL1. Boot CPU: 0x00000000001122, CPU4: 0x00000000101122
Sep 11 16:17:20 Saurus lipstick[5250]: [D] unknown:0 - sleepDisplay
Sep 11 16:17:21 Saurus kernel: dsi_panel_driver_touch_pinctrl_set_state: invalid 'sde_touch_suspend
’ pinstate
Sep 11 16:17:21 Saurus kernel: @@@@ panel power off @@@@
Sep 11 16:17:21 Saurus kernel: binder: 6380 RLIMIT_NICE not set
Sep 11 16:17:21 Saurus mce[2033]: modules/display.c: mdy_display_state_enter(): current display sta
te = OFF

I then pushed the button again (and it looks like accidently came near the fingerprint sensor:
Sep 11 16:22:10 Saurus mce[2033]: modules/fingerprint.c: fpwakeup_trigger(): fingerprint wakeup tri
ggered
Sep 11 16:22:10 Saurus mce[2033]: powerkey.c: pwrkey_datapipe_keypress_event_cb(): gesture(272)
Sep 11 16:22:10 Saurus kernel: binder: 6380 RLIMIT_NICE not set
Sep 11 16:22:10 Saurus mce[2033]: powerkey.c: pwrkey_datapipe_keypress_event_cb(): powerkey pressed
Sep 11 16:22:10 Saurus mce[2033]: modules/proximity.c: mp_datapipe_set_proximity_sensor_actual(): s
tate: UNDEF → OPEN
Sep 11 16:22:10 Saurus mce[2033]: tklock.c: mce_tklock_unblank(): display state req: ON
Sep 11 16:22:10 Saurus mce[2033]: modules/display.c: mdy_display_state_leave(): current display sta
te = POWER_UP
Sep 11 16:22:10 Saurus mce[2033]: mce-io.c: mce_write_number_string_to_file(): brightness: can’t fl
ush /sys/class/backlight/panel0-backlight/brightness: Invalid argument
Sep 11 16:22:10 Saurus lipstick[5250]: [D] unknown:0 - unsleepDisplay
Sep 11 16:22:10 Saurus harbour-heebo[18181]: [D] onRunningChanged:104 - particleSystem started
Sep 11 16:22:10 Saurus kernel: dsi-ctrl:[_dsi_ctrl_setup_isr] [DSI_0] IRQ 506 registered
Sep 11 16:22:10 Saurus kernel: dsi_panel_driver_touch_pinctrl_set_state: invalid ‘sde_touch_active’
pinstate
Sep 11 16:22:10 Saurus kernel: @@@@ panel power on @@@@
Sep 11 16:22:10 Saurus kernel: binder: 6396 RLIMIT_NICE not set
Sep 11 16:22:10 Saurus kernel: somc_panel_color_manager: somc_panel_inject_crtc_overrides (754): Ov
erride: Already have original funcs! Is setup called twice??
Sep 11 16:22:10 Saurus kernel: somc_panel_color_manager: somc_panel_pcc_setup (857): Cannot read uv
data: missing command

It looks like there are issues, but it may be that those are only warnings.

1 Like

searching the internet for xperia unresponsive screen seems to show that it is not only SailfishOS related but a common cause of problem in Android also.

1 Like

It’s also on Lineage OS and stock ROM. Not SF related