[4.5.0.18] Android apps lose connection after network change

Since the 4.5 update (4.5.0.16 already) the android layer has long forgotten connectivity issues on my X10II.

REPRODUCIBILITY: always
OS VERSION: 4.5.0.16/18
HARDWARE: xperia 10 II
UI LANGUAGE: german
REGRESSION: yes

DESCRIPTION:

when the network changes, android loses network, be it a browser, chat apps or other. It happens when 4G is lost shortly and reconnects or when leaving a wifi into 4G.

it seems not to happen reproducibly when switching from mobile to wifi or after calls when the phone reconnects from 2G to 4G.

PRECONDITIONS:

regular usage.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. connected to a wifi, 4G active
  2. shut off wifi or leave its range
  3. try using an android app which needs internet connection

ACTUAL RESULT:

no connection possible unless android is restarted manually. The disconnected state persists for hours, not only for some minutes. I don’t think there is a mechanism which tries to rebuild connectivity or maybe the system just doesn’t detect the issue.

MODIFICATIONS:

microG

4 Likes

An additional question: If this issue persists, I would consider resetting/reverting, since it is really a dealbreaker. I am currently restarting the Android layer several times a day, whenever I have been in an elevator, a basement or the like, since the phone seems to be online but often enough is not. Otherwise I am missing important messages since the system.

Would a SailfishOS reset help or should it be a revert and reflash in this case?

Seems to be solved with the 4.5.0.19 patch.

edit: no it wasn’t.

1 Like

I’ve got exactly the same issue.

1 Like

I tried this with my Xperia 10 III running 4.5.0.19.

My phone was connected to m home WLAN. The mobile data service of Telia Finland was enabled, too.
While playing songs with Spotify, I tapped WLAN off at the TopMenu, letting the phone connect to Telia. I could not hear any break in the playback. I repeated the same several times.
While streaming news via the YLE Areena app, there was a break of 10-15 seconds in the playback, soon after switching WLAN off. In all cases, the playback automatically continued after the break.

I have no clue what is causing the problem on your phone.

Have you tried the network restart in Sailfish Utilities?

It is better to reflash than to reset. The drawbacks are the same but by reflashing you get the latest OS release.

1 Like

I have had this problem since maybe 4.1 or 4.2. I travel daily between countries and now I always have to boot my phone when the operator changes.

Xperia 10II

Yesterday I had cellular network and wlan active, data ok in android. I disconnected wlan and Signal stopped communication. Switching to IP6 and back to IP4 restored communication.

When in hurry I just reboot the phone. Xperia 10ii, always latest software.

2 Likes

Same here - Xperia 10ii 4.5.0.19 (but I think it was already there with 4.5.0.18). This happens so often it is a real problem for usability, I’m afraid.

I also have that problem. I had it prior 4.5.0.19 from time to time as well but not so often I encounter it now. Sometimes even network restart and/or android restart doesn’t help, only full reboot. Very annoying unfortunately.

For me switching on mobile data about fifteen seconds befor switching off WiFi works best.

have you tried to restart Network from Settings → Utilities ? The few times I have network problems it helps. And if this doesn’t help a restart of android support does the trick

I now have the effect in a very rural area in Finland. 10 III, 4.5.0.21, reboot is mandatory.

As I said. Yes, sometimes restarting Network from utils helps. Sometimes it doesn’t, but I am able to recover from it by restarting android support. But on some occassions, I need a full reboot to get it to work.

So to have some “figures”:

-I need to restart Network from settings 1-2 times a day.
-I need to restart Android support about 5-10% so probably once a week
-I need to reboot the phone to solve it approx. once per month

But: that I have to restart network 1-2 times a day is VERY annoying. The other restart/reboots are VERY annoying as well. So I think, there should be something done about it. Am I the only one who thinks like that?

I still have this problem, and it is extremely frustrating. Because the Office365 account type keeps locking up on a network change (from WLAN to mobile or vice versa) making the native Jolla email app useless for Office365 email accounts, I am forced to rely on Android Outlook from MS, which also then doesn’t work when the Android layer loses connectivity because of this bug. Its been doing this since at least 4.1 and often requires several reboots per day to fix.

This is presumably on every phone and is still there in the current verson. Restarting App Support temporarily fixes it.

Something isn’t loaded/set for data in App Support that is needed for wifi?

Edit: brain glitch, it’s App Support we need to restart.

Small advice: Patchmanager has a patch called “Android Support button” that can be used to add a button in the top menu to start/stop Android AppSupport with a simple tap (like the already existing buttons for Bluetooth or Wifi).
That’s very useful for quickly restarting Android if it has lost connection.

(Note: this won’t solve the problem for people who need to keep running apps without restarting, e.g. keep some office android app open, but is a useful tool for those who only keep, e.g., some messaging app running in the background).

1 Like

There is noch such problem in urban areas with good net coverage on my 10 III.

This is actually default now but I guess would require a fresh installation.

Sorry, I didn’t meant the shortcut to the Settings page that the default SFOS provides, I mean having literally the “start/stop” button in the top menu.

1 Like

Thank you for pointing out that patch, it is really handy when you frequently stop android support (which I do in order to save energy).