[4.5.0.16][Xperia XA2 Plus] Bluetooth not available

Confirmed on my XA2 Plus, with build 4.5.0.19

Some tinkering via su terminal to get the BT’ s Soft Blocked: yes to no in the rfkill list, then bluetooth & bluebinder restarts seem to work.
But in the train without terminal equipment that is not very convenient.

Would be happy to learn about a permanent fix.

It is permanent for my XA2Plus after each restart.

Workaround: after restart I try to activate BT - it failes Then I go to utilities and restart BT subsystem fromthere. Almost 100% it works and BT gets activated.

important note: I press BT activation frm pulley menu only once before going to utilities…

Recently I’ve made another observation, which may help Jolla to trace the root of the issue:

Normally I have to restart Bluetooth subsystem through Settings - Utilities.
If I press the button Restart and immediately switch off the screen, Bluetooth does not get activated. So I have to keep the phone / the screen active, not sure if it’s even necessary to have settings in foreground.
I’m wondering if foreground or power save behaviour may interfere with initialisation of Bluetooth in the boot process.

1 Like

For me a restart from Utilities consistently does not work.
The only way I get Bluetooth working is if it’s already enabled at boot.
So I have to blindly guess the correct switch setting & reboot.

Just a short notice, not actually much informatio I guess.
We have 2 XA2 in my family. Both are single SIM H3113. They are configured differently as I have more stuff like patches in patchmanager or other software. My device has encryption of home partition turned on. As far as I can recall, I have different vendor image revisions on both devices. If someone could point me to a place where I can check this, I will look that up.

My wife’s device with no encryption, (maybe) older vendor image and closer to vanilla has the issue that bluetooth is always in soft blocked mode after reboot, regardless of what state it was before. She has also more issues with network handover WLAN-mobile especially when in very poor mobile reception area. But this might be a totally different problem.
My device has no bluetooth issues - same device type, different configuration.

1 Like

The bluetooth of my AX2 mobile phone sometimes blocked and didn’t work, restarting the service with the “Tools” options restarted it. With my new X10 III no problems apart from the weather forecast not working.

Just got one XA2 H4113 with this problem (BT won’t turn on). Noticed after update to 4.5.0.24. However, my test device doesn’t had this problem yet. The main difference is, no encryption to encrypted.
Tried a lot of things, then turned to commandline.
systemctl restart bluetooth worked once, then after turning off BT, didn’t work anymore.
Reboot, then commandline restart turned on BT, then stopped fidling since it is a daily driver…

I fixed the problem thusly:

# /etc/systemd/system/bluetooth-restart.service
[Unit]
Description=Restart misbehaving Bluetooth

[Service]
ExecStart=/bin/sh -c 'sleep 5; rfkill unblock bluetooth || exit 1; sleep 5; systemctl restart bluetooth || exit 1;'

[Install]
WantedBy=graphical.target

Enable.
I also disabled bluetooth.service but I believe that’s optional (cleaning up redundancy).

This has been working reliably for months now after a year of trying every solution out here.

Caveat: I do not boot with Android enabled. Many people claim a systemctl restart bluebinder is required after the above, but for me it has the opposite effect - an already working bluetooth stops working again.

When you call rfkill unblock bluetooth, do you expect to have BT soft blocked? The few times I looked at it, it was always unblocked. But I will have a closer look.
Also, Android App Support is always on on boot. On both devices…

X10II: I’ve recently noticed device randomly losing Bluetooth, and holy schmokes, systemctl restart bluebinder seems to be the one to revive it :pray: didn’t even know about this service before.

No amount of systemctl restart bluetooth alone would bring it back.

1 Like

how come a phone’s basic functionality that seem to affect all the supported phones,still hasn’t been fixed for almost a year now.
i withheld from updating for that reason.
and what do new users would think about this OS?

I recently reinstalled SFOS and haven’t had the problem since. At all.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing this. I’m considering reinstalling my XA2, partly because of this issue, party because of a few others. I was wondering if a fresh reinstall with the latest version would improve over my old version being updated several times, including with early access releases.