[4.5.0.16] Sailfish asks for USB mode when connecting plain charger

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100% (always)
OSVERSION: 4.5.0.16
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia 10 III - xqbt52 - xqbt52 - 1.0.1.12 - aarch64
UI LANGUAGE: English (UK) (user: en_GB, os: en_GB.utf8)
REGRESSION: yes (since: 4.4.0.72 - aarch64)

DESCRIPTION:

Sailfish asks for USB mode when it should start charging without asking.

PRECONDITIONS:

I use a 30W quick charger, but I don’t think that matters.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Set default USB mode to ‘Always ask’.
  2. Set battery charging mode to ‘Apply thresholds’ (90%).
  3. Connect a plain charger to phone and wait for prompt that wasn’t there before SFOS 4.5.0.

EXPECTED RESULTS:

The phone to start charging without asking.

ACTUAL RESULTS:

Phone starts charging but also asking for USB mode.

MODIFICATIONS:

• Patchmanager: yes
  • OpenRepos: yes
  • Chum: yes
  • Other: none specified

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Device Owner User: defaultuser
Home Encryption: enabled
This issue only occurs when I use my PD quick charger, never with my old not so fast charger.

LOG FILE LINKS:

the initial version of this bug report was created using Bugger 0.10.3+git1+logcollect.20221208212337.4d39194
2 Likes

That always was a bit silly

I remember this happening from time to time on jolla C, but haven’t had that yet with XIII, with same settings (4.5/always ask/90%) on current charger can’t reproduce

1 Like

I’m getting this all the time. I have even switched to “Only Charging” and i still get a notification to “Unlock the phone first” when i plug it in.

1 Like

I can’t remember I’ve seen it ever before. Might be on JP1/C if so.

What if phone is unlocked?

With having changed to “Only charging” the phone behaves as expected when i plug it in while unlocked. I.e. it notifies about charging, and that’s it.

1 Like

Same here, but problem remain when set to ‘Always ask’.
It should only ask when connecting to something else but a plain charger. At least that was the behaviour before 4.5.0.

Same here…

since the update to 4.5.0.16 I have noticed, among other problems like the higher battery drain, that whenever I connect the phone to the charger, my X10 III “prepares the USB mode” and switches to MTP mode. This makes no sense as a normal charger and not a computer is connected.

I have tested it with two “dumb” chargers (one being an “old one”, and the other being a USB-C PD), a power bank (with PD), and the power supply of my laptop (one of these USB-C with PD).

I tested the chargers with the power save mode activated and deactivated as well as with the battery ageing protection being activated or deactivated.

I do not recall this happening in the 4.4 version.

best regards

2 Likes

Had it forever and it’s completely ignorable
In fact, if t doesn’t come up,I know my XA2 isn’t charging.

I can confirm this on Xperia 10 III with Sony USB-PD fast charger (XQZ-UC1).

2 Likes

I just realized that this only occurs when I use my PD quick charger, never with my old not so fast charger.

Added to internal bugzilla

1 Like

Earlier on PD connections to pc were not detected at all - so that mode selection was not possible when connecting phone to laptop via usb-c cable. The new problem here is that the same “PD” power supply device type is reported both for charger and pc connections. Heuristics are used for trying to tell apart one from another - and in this case it seems that wrong conclusion is reached.

That is similar outcome, different cause (physical aspects of usb2 connectors affecting charger detection based on resistance over data lines, etc).

2 Likes