[4.5.0.16] Hotspot stopped working on XperiaX after update

Thanks for those instructions. For me this has indeed fixed the issue. I did not test it before rebooting as I had to re-insert the SIM card first anyway. But after a reboot it just works.

3 Likes

I would also like to thank you for solving the problem.

3 Likes

I can also confirm it worked on my Xperia X. I applied the instructions while being on mobile data connection (wifi turned off), using the phone’s terminal, and it worked immediately, no reboot was needed. Thank you!

2 Likes

Should this also work on the dual SIM Version F5122?

Thanks @jlaakkonen, your package solved the problem. I tried to use the hotspot on my good old Xperia X during a trip abroad obviously for the first time after the upgrade. Luckily I

1. had another phone and
  2. the solution was already available here.

P.S. Come to Tampere Linux User’s group meeting (when we finally manage to arrange the next one…) and I’ll invite you for a beer :beer:

2 Likes

Not 100% sure as I haven’t got f5122 at my disposal but the phones are otherwise identical, except the dual SIM support of course so in theory it should work.

1 Like

You are welcome. I have to remind that this is a mere temporary fix, we should find what is causing this regression on the newer wpa_supplicant on these devices to really fix the issue also in the future. But at least the devices that were suffering from the lack of tethering because of the upgrade can now get it back.

Thanks for the beerinvite :wink:

1 Like

Works again now . Thanks

2 Likes

Unfortunately does not work for me. The step “pkcon install wpa_supplicant” gives an error “The packages are already installed”.
Downloading from OBS is impossible. I seem to not be registered on OBS and sign up seems to be disabled.
SFOS version is 4.5.0.21

Which version is installed?
wpa_supplicant -v

During the update process to the version 4.5.0.21 I got a message, that I should remove wpa_supplicant before installation. I did not do that. The installation process proceeded normally.

After installation the hotspot did not work as expected. I made again all the steps 1-5 @jlaakkonen instructions. I noticed, that I could have skipped the repository addition in step 2, because I got a message that the repository has been already added.

Thanks again, the hotspot is working again.

2 Likes

Hi, just for information. My Rephone with 4.5.019 connects to laptop with wlan hotspot and usb tethering but gets no internet connection. Firefox, system updates, e-mail does not work on laptop (SolusOS). But TOR-Browser works and lets me brows the internet. No idea why. Maybe this can help. Still thanks for your work.

Try Testing CLAT for IPv6-only mobile networks if your provider is IP6 only might help

Thank you! Hotspot works again.

1 Like

wpa_supplicant v2.10
(C) 2003-2022

ssu ar wpa_supplicant_downgrade https://repo.sailfishos.org/obs/home:/jlaakkonen:/wpa_supplicant_downgrade/armv7hl

This is ONE line command that you have to run in terminal to add repository from OBS.
There is no need to register or sign up to OBS.

This repo is shown by pkcon. Addition of the repo worked, just could not make pkcon install the version from this repo.

Had a different idea today: Followed the repo link, downloaded the .rpm manually and installed the then local file using zypper.

This method worked. After reboot wpa_supplicant reports 2.9 and the hotspot is visible.

Thanks for the support!

1 Like

Another way is to:
pkcon install --allow-downgrade wpa_supplicant

I did that before. This command (with the “allow-downgrade”) did not install the downgrade, just reported “already installed”.
I did not want to disable the main repo where the 2.10 version came from. I am not experienced with pkcon and did not want to change its config.
But i do have experience with zypper and it is a .rpm file. Should have thought of downloading the .rpm and installing with zypper earlier.

My conclusion is: To install the 2.9 version: Follow the repo link with a browser, download the .rpm, open a shell, switch to devel-su and install the .rpm with zypper.