[4.5.0.16] Android AppSupport poor UI performance

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
OS VERSION: 4.5.0.16
HARDWARE: Xperia 10 II
UI LANGUAGE: Finnish
REGRESSION: Yes, 4.4 and earlier were much more smoother

DESCRIPTION:

After updating to 4.5.0.16 I noticed that Android applications had significantly poorer performance when for instance navigating, scrolling etc. inside the apps. I suspect that either the changes in LXC container stuff or Android AppSupport upgrade might be the reason for this performance regression. For instance, now the animations etc. work correctly in Android applications which might have something to do witht his as well.

PRECONDITIONS:

No special preconditions, just the new version 4.5.0.16 and Android AppSupport itself.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Open Android application e.g. Telegram
  2. Use the application e.g. scroll, click, or move in the app
  3. Notice the poor performance and slow fps in Android apps

EXPECTED RESULT:

I expected the performance to be better (according to release notes) or at least in par with the previous versions.

ACTUAL RESULT:

UI performance in Android applications is horrible and much poorer compared to previous versions e.g. 4.4.0.72, not great.

MODIFICATIONS:

None

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

None, for now.

4 Likes

I took my old XA2 and installed the new 4.5.0.16 version on to it as well and tested some Android applications. It seems that the UI performance is slightly better on the XA2 compared to Xperia 10 II. However, I can’t say much about XA2 performance before installing 4.5.0.16, but I’d say it wasn’t affected that much.

So what’s the issue with Xperia 10 II which should be more powerful device compared to XA2? I’m wondering if I’m the only one with this issue? Do you have any tips or tricks? Are there potentially some logs etc. that I could dig down in addition to journal?

I don’t wish to re-flash the whole device and I don’t think it would do any difference. The update to 4.5 went without any problems or whatsoever.

2 Likes

You’re not the only one, it’s like this on everyone’s Xperia 10 II. Someone else commented that it feels like, with the animations working, all frames of animation are now rendered, just not as fast as they should be rendered.

3 Likes