[4.4.0.64][Xperia 10 III] The sound disappears and video freeze

I only get this bug, when using gps. In the last months it never occured only after using the gps. So, i always reboot after gps use.

The script restart condition doesn’t apply if pulseaudio process doesn’t die but gets messed up inside, i.e. sound stops working. That’s why I asked (thought out loud) about the actual condition we could check here.

Well, dmesg gets flooded with the error messages already posted, they could give us a hint…

Wouldn’t it be possibke to write a script with checks dmesg output for the error message and restarts pulseaudio if the message occurs?

I wrote a script to act on a dbus signal for another issue, if Pulse really sends a singnal there, then all it needs is changing the signal and command executed. It will even work as a user service and not a root one.
But does it send a dbus signal? I never checked.

In my situation this seems to be repeatable. Three times disconecting from car multimedia resulted in no sound afterwards

1 Like

This comment: Xperia 10 III audio and video problems trigger after a period of time in use - #26 by elkiaer

uses the command pulseaudio --check.

Can someone confirm that this command exits 0 when everything is OK and not-0 when the bug occurs?

If so one could very easily write a watcher service for this.

I use the 10 III with my car kit regularly and it never happened after that. But I’ve got an old and simple car kit, only HFP, HSP and PBAP profiles, no multimedia stuff like A2DP.

I drive 2000 Honda Accord with non-original simple bluetooth able radio. Nothing fancy but Im not sure what profiles it uses.

I am now 99,9% shure it is the Bluetooth that cause the problem.
I connected the phone to the Bluetooth in the car and got the sound issue.
I must also mention that the phone also was connected to my Amarfit GTS. I can have the Amarfit GTS connected to the phone without getting sound issues.

3 times that happend to me was after car bluetooth usage, but today it was different. I had this issue earlier in the morning after using bluetooth headset. I rebooted and everything went to beeing normal. After that, like usual I was driving connected to car audio, this time using gps. After the trip (Like 2 hours from now) everything is fine and audio works

Sorry folks for not testing it further with logs and so on but while Im working I need to be within phone call reach so I really cant mess around with no sound

In those two cases when it happened on my 10 III not only it wasn’t after any Bluetooth usage but Bluetooth was completely turned off. Unfortunately, I can’t say what else might have triggered it, but clearly there must be various reasons. The last time it happened, IIRC, I was watching a video from YouTube and I interrupted its playback by closing the browser window and when I selected another video to watch the sound was already gone and volume controls didn’t work anymore.

What do you think? Is it possible that audio sybsystem gets “overheated” by usage and than stops working? From what we know there must be some sound usage before the problem occurs. By overheating I mean pulseaudio gets loaded with stuff up to the point it cannot process it anymore? Something like overloaded printed buffor that may cause it to stop printing completly?

1 Like

Have you been on android 12 when flashing sailfish? I have flashed an xperia 10 iii with android 12 and have the same issue ( the only one, but a very annoying one)

1 Like

I have also flashed from Android 12, but if that really counts, we are in the funland of undefined behavior territory, since the AOSP binaries should overwrite the drivers used… Could the sound “chip” really have its own separately-flashed firmware? Is there a way to find this out?

2 Likes

I read that android 11 is recommended and jolla replied that the sound issue comes from the underlying android, so i guess this could be the root of the issue. i will try getting android 11 and flashing it and flashing back sailfish tomorrow

1 Like

I also thought about making a daemon that restarts pulseaudio every minute

I have used Android 11 recommended by Jolla (not the newest Android 11 but specifically the version mentioned) and I also have this issue. As far as I know everyone has this problem.

2 Likes

Yes i just wanted to write that i read that on the forum. Funny thing is sound comes through the bluetooth headset, but if i disconnect it not through the speakers and if i reconnect the headset there’s sound again

1 Like

When not using Bluetooth for audio it is Very rare that the issue will occur.
To solve the issue please type the following in the terminal:
pulseaudio --check && pulseaudio -k && pulseaudio --start

Sadly it doesn’t work anymore. I think i should call it a day and retry tomorrow