[4.2.0.21][Xperia 10 ii Dual] RAM management issues (?)

REPRODUCIBILITY: About 2-3 times /day
BUILD ID = OS VERSION: 4.2.0.21
HARDWARE: Xperia 10 ii Dual
UI LANGUAGE: Greek
REGRESSION: No

DESCRIPTION:

Apps that are minimized as widgets are killed randomly without any profound reason (even without using Android App support or opening any other app), and their widget shows frozen info (see images).
Also, the browser crashes quite often (approximately once every 20 times opened)
Image 1: Frozen/killed-in-background apps (note the time of the widget compared to the actual time shown on top)
Image 2: Same apps when reopened

PRECONDITIONS:

None / Random

4 Likes

Maybe remove the “bracket tags”?
As this is valid on many devices and almost all releases since 3.x?
Speaking as heavily affected on XA2 Dual SIM and SFOS 3.2…

1 Like

:confused:
I have been using my Xperia 10 ii for quite some time now (actually from the time that SFOS was made available without the Android App support), but didnt face this problem. OK, maybe I had it, lets say, once or twice per month, but now it is persistant!
I also dont remember having it THAT often with my XA2 Ultra on SFOS 3.x.x!
Maybe it is time for a hard reset…?

The XA2 Ultra has 4GB memory whereas the XA2 only has 3GB.
X10 II also has 4GB but is on 64bit.
Some correlations?

1 Like

This bug makes the phone nearly unsusabe as daily driver. I need to have Whatsapp and Nextcloud Talk open to receive messages. Everytime the apps got killed, there are no notifications anymore! You only notice it, if you take it out of the pocket and then realize “fu**, I missed …”.
A constantly crashing android runtime is a case of warrenty I think. If this isn’t fixed in the next release I will claim my money back.

I had XperiaX for years. The device has less RAM, but never had this issue, at least when you open only a few apps.

1 Like

Yes, I noticed it too on 10II after upgrading to 4.2.0.21, although in my case I didn’t notice them to be frozen (I may have not paid enough attention). They are straight away killed even though the same apps run happily without issue prior to the upgrade so it seems to be a regression for this phone.

1 Like

Is there going to be a fix for this on the next update? This is getting ridiculous, apps get constantly crashed even if there’s like 3-4 of them open. It cannot be because of amount of RAM. JP1 had 1 GB and didn’t have such a behaviour, nor did Xperia X with three gigs.

1 Like

Happens to me also with complete gone preview in launcher:

Please try running the sailfish backup, or all mail and calendar sync tasks one by one and monitor RAM usage while they are working.

I have had issues in the past with large calendar or mail databases causing these processes to grow huge and oom kill regular applications.

I have Nextcloud acount for Calendar and Contacts active. Starting a manual sync does not show any obvious change in RAM usage.
Backup on is a manual task only, so should not trigger any OOM action while phone is in my pocket.

This issue is still present in 4.3.0.12 EA!

Hi it is possible that your issues may be related with the broken reporting of memory state by mce, as reported here: [4.1.0.24][Xperia 10 II] Unknown memory level reported by MCE - #18 by karry

But it is necesary to note that there is just a few applications is listening to mce’s memory state. The most important is Browser.

In any case, it would be great to collect more details - take a look to kernel log, if the application is killed by lowmemorykiller, who occupy the biggest fraction of memory a so on…