[4.2.0.21] [XA2] Wrong / No contact opened when trying to edit phone number of contact (via People App)

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100% for certain contacts
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): OS 4.2
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): XA2 Plus - Dual Sim
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Yes - i had the same problem with 4.1

DESCRIPTION:

First problem: when i try to edit the phone number of a contact via the “Edit” context menu - nothing happens.

Second problem: why i try to edit the phone number of a contact via the “Edit” context menu - i get to the details dialog of a completely different contact that has nothing to do with the other contact.

PRECONDITIONS:

I have only contact from the phone - no synchronization with some address books from other servers / backends.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

First problem:

1. Open People App
  2. Select a contact
  3. Select contact phone number for editing → Nothing happens.

Second problem:

1. Open People App
  2. Select a contact
  3. Select contact phone number for editing → Details dialog is opened but for a completely different contact

EXPECTED RESULT:

First problem: Details Dialog for editing phone number of contact is opened
Second Problem: Details Dialog of the correct contact is opened to edit phone number

ACTUAL RESULT:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

If you need more information, tell me, but please provide information how to get the additional data.

Problem still persists with 4.3.0.12

That bug still persists with the version 4.4.0.58

On my X10 II, I’m able to edit correctly phone numbers. Can someone confirm? Perhaps is this bug related to 32bit devices.

How do you save your contacts?

Works fine for me on XA2/4.4.
Maybe you have a broken carddav account?
When I edit a contact, it always asks me first whether to edit the local contact or on nextcloud, so a broken sync account may cause issues…

I do not have any carddav account - i do not sync anywhere - all the contacts are only on the device and were never imported/synced. This problem does not occur for all contacts - it seems to happen only with contacts that i haven’t used for a very long time (or the ones that i virtually do not use at all). i could debug or provide logs - but somebody needs to tell me how to do this.

If you’re able to reproduce your bug, it’s a first victory. Usually, starting the app from terminal shows some logs. In your case:

devel-su -p jolla-contacts

Ideally, I suggest you to start from SSH. You’ll be able to easily copy all the log output.

EDIT: right package… work, tired, well life :slight_smile:

it is not the messages but the jolla-contacts app. however the log file is very short if i start it like you proposed it. Actuall i only get 5 lines that give me the loading times i would need a much more verbose log to find the problem.

Oh mist, good that some people check.

Anyway, I’m not sure to get it. Are you able to reproduce your bug? It will be interesting to see the output.

I remember having been unable to edit some contacts (XA2). The “edit” in menu was greyed.
IIRC, these contacts were imported from another phone (through a file.)

But if you also have th second problem (wrong phones numbers) I would opt for a corrupted database.
I would perhaps be safe to backup your contacts.
Maybe, you could try to export them and re-import them?
You can export them with:

devel-su -p vcardconverter --export contacts.vcf

Note it doesn’t work as root but only like writen above (as root has no contacts, I guess).
Just an idea.

You’re able to always reproduce your bug with specific contacts, right?

What about share one contact via e-mail (to keep a trace), delete it and reimport it?