[4.1.0.24][4.2.0.21][Xperia 10 ii] [XQ-AU51 Single-SIM]: Pulseaudio dies with coredump. No sounds in device

I notice you are using 4.1. Version 4.2 is out; try to upgrade to that…

If you are comfortable with a commandline you can try downloading a file and replace the missing cirrus_sony.cal file from a forum post

1 Like

Hi.

Thank you for the file:

I downloaded it, copied it, changed permissions (according to info I got from the Spanish TG SF users group)…but that did not work.

There’s something else which is wrong…

Edit: I also tried with the file you provided with version 4.2 the first time I flashed the device, and it didn’t work either… (This is the second attemp flashing Sailfish on it)

Best regards.

Then you need someone more knowledgeable than me.

1 Like

Hi.
Thank you anyway.
Can anyone please point me to the sourcecode for pulseaudio in Sailfish? Gitlab? Github?

Thanx in advance.
Best Regards.

1 Like

4.2 images are out, so I would try reflashing the device with it.

1 Like

Hi.

Thank you all for your responses.
I have upgraded to 4.2.0.21 and the result is the same.
I’ll change the title to reflect this.

Best Regards.
Pasko.

Hi.

I made a few more tests but the problem persists.
I have detected four systemd units failing after reboot:

failed

I suspect that the mounting of some filesystems is either wrong or broken.

Restarting the affected systemd units didn’t help, by the way…

Best Regards.

Upgraded via the menu? (or another way) or reflashed.
Two different things.

1 Like

Hi.

I tried both ways: via menu and reflashing. It makes no difference regarding this issue.
My device is single-SIM variant:
Can anyone please confirm that XQ-AU51 works ok for them? I’ve used the device with Android for more than two weeks with no issues…

Best Regards.

As we enter “the mystical era”, I suggest downlading the image files again and double checking the checksums. (I had issues with a memory stick corrupting files, that was fun…) Also try, if possible, to use another computer and/or OS to flash the device, as the fastboot-device-pair can be real picky at times… Also double check the device model and variant for the correct images and blobs (been there, done that, too)!

Well, it’s good that in Android sound works! The device should be fine then!

1 Like

Hi.

Well I’ve tinkering for a while. This time I saved boot messages and I have found this:

Which has led me to this thread about problems autodetecting partitions with systemd version 237. I know sailfish uses version 238, but the problem is still here.

systemd-gpt-auto-generator: Failed to dissect: Input/output error (boot/rpmb context) · Issue #5806 · systemd/systemd · GitHub

Maybe something related with LUKS encryption and the imposibility to autogenerate gpt-partitions… which I honestly don’t understand.

But, I see a workaround stating that changing one of the kernel command line options, it may work.

So, here comes another question:

Is it possible to change boot options for the kernel without recompiling it, of course :smile:
The option I want to set is " systemd.gpt_auto=0"

I suspect that this may prevent critical partitions to mount (probably this explain problems with audio hardware).

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards!

Hi.

Well, after upgrading to 4.3.0.12 Early Access and rebooting, the problem persists. Jolla support didn’t find a solution either, stating that the problem may lay in the Android adaptation layers.

\ 40x40 Jolla Care (Jolla Service and Support)

Nov 3, 2021, 16:37 GMT+2

Hi,

the information received from our R&D is that the reason for the pulseaudio failure appears to be somewhere in the underlying Android adaptation layers. We (Jolla) do not have the source code of them available, so we cannot investigate properly what is going wrong. Note that the audio works on 99+% of the X10ii phones with Sailfish.

There is a tiny possibility that reverting the phone back to Android mode (i.e. flashing Android to the phone and wiping out Sailfish) could potentially do a miracle. But more likely not. Anyhow, we have no other remedy in mind for you now, unfortunately.

So, if you decide to take your chances, this is what you should do:

1. Revert the phone back to Android as in chapters 1 and 2 here: https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004283713.
    You need a Windows computer for this as the Emma tool f Sony has not been ported to Linux.

2. Use the phone in Android mode. Test the audio functions by making/receiving phone calls and by playing music.

3. If step #2 was successful, then install ("reflash) Sailfish to the phone again (as in chapter 4 of https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004283713).

4. And try the audio…

Sincerely,
Jolla Customer Care

I have already tried to go back and forth to and from Android, so I think it is time to give up… a big shame.

Best Regards.

And you remembered to boot up the device with Android after unlocking too?

Hi.

Yes, I did.
But from the very first boot of Sailfish OS the tone is not played. Everything else works.

Best Regards.
Pasko.

1 Like

Hi pasko!

Thanks for posting! Bad news…

1 Like

And you remembered to boot up the device with Android after unlocking too?

Yes, I did. I even flashed back to Android several times. The sony software gave me two different images and I tried both of them, upgraded them to the latest Android version available and the flashed sfos (including the reboot after unlocking). Tough luck, I guess.

1 Like

Hi pasko, I have the same problem with a dual sim version of the xperia 10 ii, works fine on android, no sound from speaker on sfos. Did you make any progress on this issue? TIA

Hi.

Unfortunately, no. I opened a support ticket to try to trace the problem, but some parts of the Hardware Adaptation are not opensource and could not be fixed.

As a consequence, I only use the Xperia with android.

Best regards.

at this stage I’ve tried android 10, 11 and 12 using Emma and flashtool/xperifirm and a rom from xda. Best result was 10, no random whooping noises but no audio either. I’ll just have to give it to an android user…pity, it’s a nice size.

1 Like