[4.1.0.23] aarch64 qml webp crash [FIXED]

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = 4.1.0.23 aarch64
HARDWARE Xperia 10 II
UI LANGUAGE: ?
REGRESSION: -

DESCRIPTION:

Displaying webp images in qml causes the app to crash on aarch64.
Apparently at least Fernschreiber and LLs Video Player (yt thumbnails) are affected. I’ve created a minimal project to reproduce this crash and according to multiple users (Telegram: SFOS Fan Club), it does “successfully” crash.

cc for the app authors to follow up on this: @Ygriega and @leszek

PRECONDITIONS:

• Have an aarch64 device
  • Let a QML Image display a webp file – apparently any will suffice, example below:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Go to GitHub - jgibbon/webp-test: temporary repo to test webp crashes on sfos aarch64
  2. download rpm from releases or build yourself
  3. install and start the application
  4. click the button

EXPECTED RESULT:

A SFOS Fan Club image should appear beneath the button.

ACTUAL RESULT:

The application crashes. (Segmentation fault)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

I sadly don’t have a device myself, just improvised this after @abranson mentioned that the crash multiple Fernschreiber users experienced could be reproduced and seems to have something to do with webp:

I can replicate a crash on 64bit fernschreiber. seems to be in libwebp. might be a dodgy build there.

3 Likes

Thanks for the bug report. It’s already in our internal bug tracker (added by @abranson).

5 Likes

Works just fine to me, since i started yottagram there was no webp support in sfos so i compile in my own webp plugin and everything works just fine

1 Like

According to @abranson updating libwebp seems to be enough and the updated version should land in public release.

Webp was supported since SFOS 2.2.0 in 2018, you may just have grabbed a newer version in yottagram to begin with.

Wasn’t working in 3.2 last time i checked

1 Like

Great point, thanks for reminding me!
While it apparently is in the repos since then, out-of-the-box it only works via Nemo Thumbnailer. My POC could be incomplete, then. I’ll try to update it tonight.

Edit:
Source code at the link above is updated and it was reported that usage via Thumbnailer works with the updated libwebp on aarch64, as well.

Fixed in 4.1.0.24, thanks all!