[4.0.1] Bowser ignores homepage / start page

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.0.1.48
HARDWARE (XA2, Xperia 10…): Xperia X
UI LANGUAGE: German
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Yes

DESCRIPTION:

When opening the browser, die URL set as “homepage” in the browser settings is ignored. Instead, the browser shows a blank page and the URL entry bar plus bookmarks

PRECONDITIONS:

Fresh update to 4.0.1.48 (no .45 before); browser settings were correctly imported from previous version, it seems - except bookmarks, which I copied from the old directory.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Set a browser start page that works in 3.x
  2. Upgrade to 4.0.1.48
  3. open browser

EXPECTED RESULT:

Browser opens and shows start page as in 3.x

ACTUAL RESULT:

Browser opens (quite slowly, actually, slower than in 3.x), shows a blank page and the input field for entering an URL, including the bookmarks below. (Note: The bookmark icons also show quite slowly. I can see some of them being drawn.)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The URL to be opened shows up correctly in the browser settings. I deleted it, changed it, … no use. It’s being ignored.

2 Likes

I was stupid enough not to document exactly what got me out of this situation, but here’s roughly what I did: After changing the start page, switching the device off an on again etc etc didn’t help, I started the browser from the command line. Apart from some warnings that I still get, there was some dubious error from a QML file mentioning an SSL error with an icon. As far as I remember. Not knowing what to do and associating “icon” with the various favicons I have in my bookmark collection, I went through it and deleted bookmarks for sites I hadnt visited for years. (AFAIR I hab imported some of the bookmarks from the N9, so …)
After doing so, the browser problems were gone and there’s no more SSL error when I start the browser from the command line.
I’m sorry I didn’t really copy this error message. :frowning: