[4.0.1.45] When you tap a message notification, a new Messages app is launched even if it's already running

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.0.1.45 (Koli)
HARDWARE (Jolla1, Tablet, XA2,…): XA2 Plus Dual SIM
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Yes

DESCRIPTION:

When a new SMS comes in, the notification pops up as normal (I’m getting used to the light background but love the new style of these!). If I tap the notification and the messages app is not running, the app launches as expected and I can read the message.

But - if the messages app was already running, tapping the notification will launch a second copy of the app instead of just raising the focus of the already-running one, so now I have two messages apps running.

PRECONDITIONS:

Messages app is already running, but not active focus, or the screen is locked

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Start messages app
  2. Minimize messages app, or launch some other app
  3. Receive an SMS
  4. Tap the message notification popup
  5. Observe new copy of the messages app launched

EXPECTED RESULT:

Already-running messages app gains focus and the conversation is opened

ACTUAL RESULT:

A new messages app is launched and the conversation is opened in it

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

I launched the messages app, then in the terminal I type
ps | grep jolla-messages
… and see
5669 nemo grep jolla-messages
7610 nemo /usr/bin/jolla-messages

… seems ok. Then I minimize the messages app, and send another SMS to the phone. After tapping the notification and seeing the Messages app appear, I immediately switch to the terminal and run the ps command again and see
5935 nemo /usr/bin/jolla-messages -prestart
6212 nemo /usr/bin/invoker --no-wait -d 10 --type=silica-qt5 /usr/bin/jolla-messages -prestart
6349 nemo grep jolla-messages

… if I wait for a minute or so and run the ps command again, I see
5935 nemo /usr/bin/jolla-messages -prestart
7480 nemo grep jolla-messages

NOTE if I do it again, a third messages window doesn’t appear, it picks the ‘new’ one and maximizes it.

2 Likes

How do you see this (as the app that pops up occupies the whole display)? What makes you think there is a “new” instance of the Messages app? Do you mean that after you have minimized the app showing the most recent message, you have two Message app covers at the Home screen?

How do you see this (as the app that pops up occupies the whole display)? What makes you think there is a “new” instance of the Messages app? Do you mean that after you have minimized the app showing the most recent message, you have two Message app covers at the Home screen?

Hi,

Yes, exactly. If I am looking at the home screen at my apps, there will be a cover for the Messages app when it is running. In this state, if I get an SMS and tap the notification, the Messages app will fill the screen as normal, but when I swipe to return to the home screen, there will be two Message app covers. When I look at the ps output on the terminal I’ll see two lines with jolla-messages (with different PIDs), and if I exit one of the Messages apps shown on the home screen (e.g. long-press on the cover and then tap the X), when I re-try ps I will see a single instance of jolla-messages.

This seems to have stopped happening in the 4.0.1.48 release? I haven’t seen this behavior since the final update. :man_shrugging: