[4.0.1.45] No vibration for SMS

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100 %
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.0.1.45
HARDWARE (Jolla1, Tablet, XA2,…): Sony Xperia X Compact
UI LANGUAGE: Swedish
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Yes

DESCRIPTION:

In previous versions of Sailfish OS, messages (SMSes) triggered vibration and e-mails didn’t. In 4.0.1, it’s the opposite: messages don’t have vibration but e-mails have.

3 Likes

Thanks for the post. We created a bug report.

2 Likes

Slight addition, emails now feel like SMSes used to.Was that intentional? Being able to distinguish them is quite nice.

I agree! Vibration for e-mails would be a good thing, but then with a pattern different from the SMS vibration.

For me there has always been a vibration for emails, it was just a bit too short/weak for (the vibrators of) most phones, thus quite easy to miss.

Oh, that’s interesting. I have some vague memory that there were vibrations for e-mails with the J1, but that was long ago. I don’t think there ever were any for the X Compact.

I also have no SMS vibration alerts on Sailfish X 4.0.1.48, on Xperia XA2. I suspect it’s the same issue.

A quick hack to work around the issue in 4.0.1.48, if you are comfortable with a Linux shell, seems to be:

• devel-su
  • Back up the /usr/share/ngfd/events.d/sms.ini file somewhere, and then edit it.
  • Add an “include haptic” line to the sms_exists section that looks like:
    [sms_exists]
    %include.1 = default
    %include.2 = haptic

I’m not a Sailfish developer so I can’t promise this has no bad side effects, but it appears to work well enough for me.

The problem seems to be that the non-graphical feedback daemon (ngfd) is expecting to receive two requests from lipstick notifications, called “sms” and “sms_exists”. The vibration is played on receiving “sms”. But only “sms_exists” is being seen by ngfd. (Similarly, receiving an email triggers “email” and “email_exists” messages to ngfd - these are both still being sent ok, which I think is why email vibration works and SMS doesn’t.)

3 Likes

Hi, any news on this one? It’s once again a pretty nasty 4.0 regression :frowning:
I’ve only realized recently why I’ve been noticing SMS with so much delay x_x