[3.4.0.22] XA2 phone calls no audio

I confirm: XA2, SF OS 4.4.0.58 (Vanha Rauma) - already did a reboot, one single reboot.
No audio in both directions. It rings, call gets connected, timer runs - but not audio to/from phone.
Second reboot → audio works.

5 Likes

It’s a real shame this doesn’t seem to be getting any attention from Jolla development because:

• It is a showstopping issue for presumably hundreds of licensed users
  • The XA2 is a lovely sized phone
  • The XA2 is easy and cheap to get hold of

At this point in time if it’s not going to be worked on or resolved it would be better to acknowledge that fact and offer XA2 license holders some sort of credit towards a newer device license.

4 Likes

HI,

Vanha Rauma XA2. No audio in both direction. Limited to phne app. Whatapp and Telegram calls are working.

Very annoying !

2 Likes

I had that with the XA2 very seldomly and even my 10 III had this on two occasions. Rebooting the device always solved the issue.

This issue cropped up for me on the Xperia 10 ii / 4.4.0.56… Seems better on 4.4.0.68

XA2 Dual, 4.4.0.64
:sob: Just happened again.
Multiple reboot doesn’t fix.

Some more news:

Interestingly enough, this bug seems to be located out of SFOS partitions. (if I guess correctly)
I tried to reboot several times: no audio
I tried to restore /dev/mmcblk0p76 ( / and /home ): no audio
I tried to reflash SFOS: no audio

After reflashing Android with Emma, audio is back.
Audio still here after an new SFOS reflash.
Audio still here after restoring /dev/mmcblk0p76 ( / and /home ) over the SFOS reflash.

Something related with phonecalls audio, located out of SFOS, breaks.
But I have no idea of what is where.
I’d be +curious to understand more. Any ideas?

if so then it’s probably sony binaries.

I think issue is on initializing audio DSP that is used to process voice on calls e.g. echo cancelation of call.
And it’s bug on sony binaries. And sometimes problem hapends during boot and you don’t have voice on calls until succeful reboot.

XA2 4.5.0.19 also. Three reboots were necessary to get rid of it after the 4.5.0.19 update. We should ask at one of the next community meetings, if there are any news to share. If the cause is outside of SFOS, the problem will probably accompany us until the EOL of the XA2 :slightly_frowning_face:

Bugs are strange sometimes.
This never happened again to me. (IDK if relevant: I flash new SFOS versions, most of the time)

Had this problem on my XA2 for at least one year. I could reboot (once was enough for me) or I could restart adsprpcd (with qCommand it took me a couple of seconds). This happened at least once a month on my phone.

However, had to revert to Android with Emma and then reflash latest 4.4 version of SFOS about two months ago. This looks like it has cured it for me. Hope it helps others too!

P.S. This time I’ve flashed over Android 9. Previously, I’ve flashed over Android 8. Using the recommended firmware both times.

I still get this every now and then on my XA2 Ultra, but the qCommand workaroung has always fixed it so far.

Sorry, meant still getting on latest version - 4.5.0.19

I noticed that rebooting disabling android support at boot helps. Perhaps a race conditions on hw between Jolla native apps and android apps

Thanks gfwp for the workaround! No amount reboots would help me but disabling android
support at boot and rebooting the device restored audio during phone calls.

I have had my Xperia XA2 Ultra with 4.5.0.21 (Struven ketju) in this state for weeks now.
I could make Whatsapp calls and listen to music with the Sailfish Media player but had
no audio at all (microphone, earpiece, speaker and bluetooth headset would not work)
during phone calls.

Having lost audio during phone calls rendered my Sailfish XA2 phone all but useless
for weeks and even with this workaround the phone seems unreliable.

1 Like

What I observed was that the phone with heavy use of Android Apps hit this problem much, much more often than those with light use of Android Apss. And

was my friend… Reliable and fast.

1 Like

To me this is a make-or-break bug:
My wife called me in emergency and I couldn’t hear her.

1 Like

Sorry to hear you were put in such a difficult situation @smokku.

Just for completeness, could you please share your device type and Sailfish OS version.

1 Like

Sony Xperia 10 III
Sailfish OS 4.5.0.24