3.4.0.22 UI inconsistences in email client

I think probably there is a quite simple explanation for the UI change of the call answering page. As the SFOS devices got steadily bigger, our hands and fingers did not, how should you reach the top and bottom of your phone with such big screens, so now we swipe to the side. Personally i also prefered the former versionas it was consistent with the apps and was also a bit more elegant. The new option just looks like a copied Android function and undermines SFOS way of a unique design and UI :frowning: :ā€™(

Answering or silencing the incoming call by a flick up or down didnā€™t require big hands. Could be done with the finger anywhere on the display.

19 Likes

Yes, no need for big hands to use the pulley. Booth changes come from Aurora. So prepare for more. :space_invader: :see_no_evil:

Could this be a topic for the next community meeting? (Who decides on the design UI/UX, Jolla? Aurora? No one? The developer?)

I have a feeling the people behind Aurora wanted some OS which is pretty mature and not google/us driven. But they like the Apple/Android design so its gonne head that way in the end. But i could be wrong. Hopefully.

17 Likes

Oh yes. We have quite a few stuff that are inconsistent and need to be addressed. Hopefully.

12 Likes

This thread should be splitted. While I strongly agree that the new email button thing is shit and want the old one back - I also like the new phone swipe. Swiping side is much faster then down, and to my mind it also prevents rejecting calls when accidently pulling in the wrong direction (imagine carrying your phone in your pocket or bag - with the new sideway slide you canā€™t get the wrong direction to answer call.).

4 Likes

Maybe then an option of choice, wether you want to accept your call horizontally or vertically would be the solution, so everybody would be happy OMP and the community :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think diversity and options would be more expected in a community-driven project than in a commercial product, and so far, Jolla has not been very keen to provide options to let users do things one way or another. I could better understand that they tried to keep the UX as coherent as possible when they had a clear idea of their design principles, but nowadays, it feels like thatā€™s falling apart when their paying customers apparently want changes that collide with Jollaā€™s original ideas.

1 Like

That makes sense, I hadnā€™t thought about it that way!

3 Likes

Button is sometimes nice, but I prefer pulleys over button. Not that pulleys are easier, no buttons are easier to understand and hit, but because of ergonomics. Especially now, with the large screens, itā€™s hard to reach buttons either in the top or in the bottom. Pulleys are ā€œreachableā€ from anywhere.

8 Likes

I havenā€™t tried the new phone swipe, but I really like the idea, based on the same reasons you provide.
But splitting the thread is unnecessary, since this is mainly about the email client if you look at the topic.

2 Likes

Is there a separate topic for the Phone app design, or should this be used for comments?

I donā€™t really use my phone for - well phoning, but just got a call and had no idea how to answer it.

Apparently Aurora has there hands in there? For the past almost 7 years I have learned to live with design changes I initially didnā€™t agree with, but lately the androidification has increased too much :frowning:

3 Likes

Neither. Feel free to start one if you think it is warranted.

The design eye sore is the same on both, so continuing here :wink:

i also have 1.1.7 on my j1 and it was by far the fastest ui i ever saw in the universe. i do not use my j1 because its battery is weaker than my xa2 but the ux is best existing and ui is just beautiful. such a pity we got all these buttons and droidisation

2 Likes

Itā€™s still not official but still present in OS
You can enable it like that

dconf write /desktop/sailfish/experimental/quickAppToggleGesture true
1 Like

If many of these ā€œimprovementsā€ can be undone with a patch, then the changes canā€™t be that extensive. I guess Jolla wants just one clean code base, but would it really be that much trouble to combine the code with an extra ā€œmakeā€ option for Aurora? Iā€™m using Android 8.0.0 on this XA2 Ultra until the VoLTE dust (and a few other bugs) settles, but one of my first questions post-upgrade will be how to recreate the real Sailfish experience.

+1 I agree with Cryx regarding the new phone swipe. With the old phone swipe + phone in the pocket I had answered calls that I did not want to answer and also the other way around.

Surely, a separate thread for Phone UI would be a more logical approach?

1 Like

Has anyone already an idea how we can get rid of the white background of the html loader page.
Jolla must have really bad UI designers, always these white background pages :-(.
In addition, some mails are not zoomed correctly.

3 Likes

The latest update, 3.4.0.24 is obviously a regression regarding last version. We received a UI change that nobody asked for, which makes the app look like a draft:

• Inconsistent UI (buttons ? Seriously ?!)
  • Ugly white backgrounds in emails, for the sake of HTML emails (even for text/plain mimetypes!)
  • Regarding HTML emails, they donā€™t even display correctly (bad zoom, issue when going from portrait to landscape, ā€¦)

I really hope Sailfish team is going to patch this and make a release soon, because it looks like they have no idea what theyā€™re doing and are pushing ā€œupdatesā€ without even considering their userbase.

The greatest strength of SFOS is to provide a gesture based approach, and nice looking ambiances. This was also their main selling point when I got my first Jolla 1 phone. Now it looks like theyā€™re just trying to be closer and closer to android so they can take a bite in their market share.

7 Likes