Xperia Tama port: 4.2.0.21 release

Thank you very much for new update. All went smooth. But I have problem with MTP protocol. MTP connection do not work.

1 Like

All my passwords are 123456 so i never forget any of them :stuck_out_tongue:

If its a custom keyboard forget i even mentioned haptics.

1 Like

@rinigus a possibly stupid question. If in the future sailfish os moves to systemd-homed (and alphanumeric passwords) can your encryption implementation of home be migrated to it?

I don’t know, there are just too many open questions with it. I have no idea whether systemd-homed is in pipeline for starters.

Now, the beauty in our implementation is the use of android keystore to generate LUKS password. In practice, it generates rather long password (see example at the bottom of https://github.com/sailfishos-open/hwcrypt). Which means that even your 123456 password has to be guessed on device. As guess frequency is limited to once in 3 seconds, it may take some time to break it.

I am sure systemd will not have android keystore backing, unless we add it. Don’t know how difficult it is, systemd devs haven’t done it properly for TPM yet either.

But, if we do move to systemd-homed, many parts can be reused. the password dialog that you get is implemented as systemd-ask-password responder, for example. then some scripts can be probably adjusted to pipe user reply through hwcrypt. But as for rest, I don’t know.

2 Likes

I have killed mtp support by accident, as I was sure it wasn’t working anyway. looks like I am wrong and it is possible to restore it as well.

Let me work a bit on config and then I just update configs at OBS for you to update them via zypper/pkcon

1 Like

Bugfix has been released, available via simple

zypper ref
zypper up

as root. In addition to MTP, navigation pulse stream has been fixed (Navigation instructions doesn't play via bluetooth headphones (but phone speaker) - #5 by karry) as well as config changes from upstream have been pulled (forgot to do that before release).

6 Likes

For those using Presage-based predictive keyboard: please update to the latest release available via Chum. Jolla has changed internals of the keyboard in SFOS 4.2 and it required changes in open-source solution as well.

3 Likes

Thanks Rinigus for this upgrade! I updated by ota with no problems, it took about 15 mins. Everything seems fine…except when using usb tethering, connecting the cable usually causes a reboot. This happened also on sfos 4.1., xz2c. Maybe I can work round this by selecting usb default as ‘internet connection’ and attaching the cable before activating the hotspot? I’ll try later on…Edit: works ok if I attach cable before starting hotspot.

1 Like

I struggle with flashing. So far, everything worked fine (unlocking, installing fastboot driver etc.) but:

PS C:\Users\joe\Downloads\SFOS42XZ3\Sailfish_OS-4.2.0.21-h9436-0.4.0.1> ./fastboot getvar current-slot
current-slot: a
Finished. Total time: 0.016s
PS C:\Users\joe\Downloads\SFOS42XZ3\Sailfish_OS-4.2.0.21-h9436-0.4.0.1> ./flash-on-windows.bat

This is a Windows flashing script for Sony Xperia 10 device.

Power on the device in fastboot mode, by doing the following:

1. Turn off your Xperia.
  2. Connect one end of a USB cable to your PC.
  3. While holding the volume up button pressed, connect the other end of
    the USB cable to your Xperia.
  4. After this you should see the blue LED lit on Xperia, and it will be
    ready for flashing

Drücken Sie eine beliebige Taste . . .
Verifying MD5 checksums…
MD5SUM ‘b559b4467e1e0eb2d09241c139a573d7’ match for file ‘flash-on-windows.bat’.

Searching for a compatible device…

my XZ3 apparently is not found although it is found in the previous step. Any idea?

At some point there were issues with usb3 ports. No idea if it was fixed. Try a different usb port. That might help.

1 Like

USB3 issue is in the phone bootloader, as far as I remember . So make sure you use usb2

Related to this, but for standard flashing in XA2, I had the same problem with it not working on USB 3 ports. Problem was that the only PC I had only had USB 3 ports. The solution was to plug a cheap USB 2 hub into a USB 3 port which made it all work.

Thank you all! Since I was aware with potential problems with USB 3, I also tried with a USB 2 hub but to no avail … So it must be something else, in particular since all other stuff with fastboot on the XZ3 worked fine

BTW, flashing the Xperia 10 ii on the USB 3 port was no problem

If USB2 has been checked, other possible issue could be missing fastboot reboot-bootloader before flashing.

As for 10II - it is different device and hence the different set of bugs.

it happened a few times to me, that i used a charge-only cable, even after knowing it better…

Since we discuss tama here, a question. If you open an app like Puremaps how long does it take to locate your position with MLS enabled??

Not consistent for me, but definitely longer than I would hope… If I have gps off, and turn it on t use maps, it’s typically 2-5 minutes for a fix.
(However, I can’t speak specifically for MLS - usually I only use “custom” settings for offline positioning, and time is the same).

For whatever reason i was expecting MLS to give you a position in a few seconds or so. Anyway.

I too had no luck with a simple USB 2 hub. From reading a bit I could guess it has something to do with some XHCI and EHCI something driver for the used USB device. The output from dmesg on my notebook with only USB3 ports suggests only XHCI gets loaded for both USB2 and 3 devices. Maybe a powered USB 2 hub could make the difference.
I will try at some point to flash it but for the moment I guess my XZ2C has to have a new antenna as there is no network signal at all in android It pops up for a second and dispappears while the phone gets hot and sometimes just reboots.

I don’t have MLS, but outdoors, I usually get a fix under a minute or two. I measured it specifically today and there was a lock in 15 seconds. XZ2C here. But if I don’t use positioning for a while, the time to get a lock becomes more than 5 minutes.